Alternative IMAP capability via proxy

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Alternative IMAP capability via proxy

Post by gabrieles »

Hi,
I'm doing a particular migration. I have a cyrus imap server under the name "imap.mydomain.com" whose accounts are accessed obviously in IMAP.
I have just provisioned all the accounts on the zimbra server and what i want to achieve is put the old cyrus server behind the zimbra proxy (which wil get the new name "imap.mydomain.com) and use the

zimbraExternalImapHostname = old.cyrus.server
zimbraExternalImapPort = 143
zimbraExternalImapSSLHostname = old.cyrus.server
zimbraExternalImapSSLPort = 993

account attributes to access the old imap server. I will migrate all the mail content via impasync, and when each account completes, wipe the account attributes.
BUT there is a problem:
When I access the old server directly, i can login and access with username and password correctly (i use a curl test string).
When accessing via zimbra proxy, same username, same password, I get a

NO Only one Id allowed in non-authenticated state

There is only one case on the internet, and relative to zimbra:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=471563

I have reconducted the issue to a capability problem:
when contacting cyrus and asking for capabilities i get: AUTH=CRAM-MD5
when calling the proxy, i get: AUTH=PLAIN

I think that the client sees PLAIN as the only authentication method and sends it in PLAIN, but when proxyed to cyrus, refuses it because it handles only CRAM-MD5.

Is there a method to tell zimbra "use CRAM-MD5 too" under the imap capabilities?

inb4: i have no access to the cyrus server, and can't modify it to use AUTH=PLAIN