Version 8 ZCS - Spam Handling and overall experience questions

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
13641Calmetrics

Post by 13641Calmetrics »

Hello,
I currently use 7.2.0_GA_2669. I am overall satisfied with this version. My one major grip with this version is the Spam Assassin and DSPAM functioning so poorly I eventually went with a 3rd party spam appliance.
I am going to get Zimbra for another company and am wondering if I should stick with 7.2.0 or go with the 8.0.0 version.
1) How has the experience been with version 8. Has there been a lot of bugs or problem with it, so I should follow the rule of "wait for the patch or update" or is it worth installing?
2) Has there been any improvement to the SA and DSPAM engine for Version 8? If so please provide a link so I can read up on it.
3) Appliance or Server - is the Appliance edition for Version 8 as good as the Network Edition. I ask this because when I was purchasing 7.x version I very much liked the idea of the Appliance edition, however I talked to Zimbra and at the time the person I was talking to said not to get the Appliance Edition as it still had problems to be worked out. Any thoughts on this?
4) Also is there a Chat IM built into Version 8. I read a little about the UC with Cisco; however, to start I simply want IM ability for accounts within Zimbra. Is there anything like that?
Thanks for your feed back!
jason
50asm

Post by 50asm »

Jason,

Here are a few quick answers.
1.) Great, a lot more stable than when 7.x was released, I have been using it for about 45 days and haven't found a bug yet.

2.) I haven't noticed a difference to be honest with you. We are looking to deploy mxHero once they have an official Ubuntu 12.04 release so we will see if there is any improvement once that happens.

3.) I tried both but ended up not going with the appliance because it is based off Ubuntu 10.4 which they have listed as EOL. The install on Ubuntu 12.04 only took me about 20 min though and was very easy to do.

4.) Despite the kicking and screaming in the forums, no IM server or native client. We are waiting for ZeXtras to release theirs.
13641Calmetrics

Post by 13641Calmetrics »

Thanks 50asm. I am opting to the ZCS because of the older version of Ubuntu used.