Optimize for just one domain installation?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
7323graffiti
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 7323graffiti »

Hi Zimbra folks,
First off, I think it's so great that Zimbra let me to manage multiple domains that easy but when I'm going to deploy Zimbra I realized one fact: only ISPs really need that feature, other companies often just have only one domain.
Zimbra is designed to run with multiple domains so I think there are probaby some places where I can tune my one-domain installation to achieve the best performance. The first place comes up my mind is the LDAP filter. I take a look at /opt/zimbra/conf/ldap*.cf and wonder how many percent can I gain if I give search_base a value, i.e "dc=example, dc=com"? Maybe it's not so much but just a few percent is enough to make change. And there will other places, rite?
I think it'd be great if when installing, Zimbra will ask something like "Is this [http://www.example.com] your only domain?" and if the answer is yes, Zimbra will auto-tweak the configuration to take advantages of the case.
What do you think?
Regards,
-g
7323graffiti
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 7323graffiti »

Please let me know what's wrong with my question. I just want to know how to optimize my installation.
TIA,
-g
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

While there would undoubtedly be some small performance gains from hardcoding the ldap lookups in postfix, that portion of the transaction is such a small part of the load, especially in a small installation, it's not likely that it would result in a noticeable performance gain.
We don't optimize for this scenario largely because, while it is suitable for use in a single-domain, small install system, Zimbra is designed as a flexible solution for many scenarios.
If you only want to run one domain, we've designed a quick and (relatively) painless install process. If you want to run multiple domains, we've also provided tools to manage that easily.
That said - we also made it open source :) So, if you want to optimize the ldap lookups for a single domain, go for it! A good place to start would be by checking zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf for the various ldap mapping files, and check those files for domain lookups.
7323graffiti
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 7323graffiti »

Thx for your anwser. There's no doubt about the flexibility of Zimbra, I love it pretty much. One more question, eesides postfix stuff, what else (ie. in Zimbra-server code) do I need to take a look?
Thx again.
-g