Clustering? Scalability?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
deepblackmagic

Clustering? Scalability?

Post by deepblackmagic »

I realize this is a beta but is it at least planned for the near future to link zimbra servers together to balance mail load? Would this involve setting up one central mail database and ldap server with all the info and many dummy mail senders/recievers? Any insight on how large organization scalability is planned would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Clustering? Scalability?

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="deepblackmagic"]I realize this is a beta but is it at least planned for the near future to link zimbra servers together to balance mail load? Would this involve setting up one central mail database and ldap server with all the info and many dummy mail senders/recievers? Any insight on how large organization scalability is planned would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]
We already have this functionality. You can set up one central ldap server, and attach as many or as few mail stores to it as you like, running on different hosts. You can then spread the mta servers out to balance load, split incoming/outgoing mail streams, have a two-tiered mta structure (several edge mtas for virus/spam scanning, and some internal mtas that don't scan mail), etc.
mrballcb

Clustering? Scalability?

Post by mrballcb »

I see that you support multi-domain configurations. That's fantastic! We currently use a commercial webmail solution (and several local major modifications as well as our own provisioning system) on 2 load balanced machines for webmail, 2 load balanced machines for imap, 2 load balanced machines for smtp, and 2 load balanced machines for ldap, all behind two (for failover) load balancers using heartbeat and ldirectord. I'm investigating whether we could use and modify zimbra to suit our needs. Do you have any documentation on configuring zimbra in a hosting environment? I'm still looking through the docs and architecture docs, so maybe I haven't stumbled onto it yet.
Nice product, very fancy!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Clustering? Scalability?

Post by 14319KevinH »

Your install can be as distributed a you want. Separate box for LDAP, separate MTA's, and separate mailbox stores. Depends on how many user's your trying to support and how larger your hardware is.
When installing you can select which components you install on each server.