Can Zimbra live on a shared server?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sclough

Post by sclough »

I'm thinking about using Zimbra for a small number of users (less than 100). Can Zimbra lived on a shared server also using apache to serve web pages, or does it grab too many resources? I'm not worried about the mail servers, but I know Java web apps tend to like to get as much memory as they can and hold on to it and I didn't know if Zimbra was designed so that it could be used on a shared box (maybe starting Tomcat with a low recommended memory value), or if it needs to be on its own box.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

It would work if the server has enough memory and CPU to make both work. With only 100 users assuming they aren't too heavy of users and the mail volume is reasonable this should work just fine.
sclough

Post by sclough »

What sort of hardware is reasonable. Would a 2+ Ghz server with at least 512mb RAM suffice?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="sclough"]What sort of hardware is reasonable. Would a 2+ Ghz server with at least 512mb RAM suffice?[/QUOTE]
You'll need at least 1GB RAM, but 2GB would be even better. I think 2+ Ghx will be enough on the CPU, and you'll want to have a few disks as the server when busy needs plenty of IO.