Unable to relay

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
ehults

Unable to relay

Post by ehults »

Zimbra is up & running sending & recieving mail but I am getting occasional errors. My setup is Zimbra is behind a firewall and I have a DNS server supplying Postfix with the private IP of the server so it will deliver mail locally. The vast majority of the mail is going out but a few aren't making it.
1. Nov 2 16:47:39 mail postfix/smtp[25946]: 330FE4314F4: to=, relay=xyz.com[73.20.55.27], delay=0, status=bounced (host xyz.com[73.20.55.27] said: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for stans@xyz.com (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I had this problem with a couple of domains yesterday & turned off strict rfc821 envelopes and those domains will now accept mail. This is new today.
2.Nov 2 16:51:59 mail postfix/smtp[5987]: BD6944314F4: to=, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (cfl.rr.com: Name or service not known)

I'm getting a few of these from different domains. This one won't resolve with ping but does show up in dig.

Any help would be appreciated

Bill
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Unable to relay

Post by marcmac »

It's not clear, but I assume that both of these messages are outgoing?
If that's the case, you could have several problems - inability to look up MX for the domain (that's what the second one looks like), bad user names, or bad MX records (that's what the first one looks like - you're talking to a host that doesn't want the xyz.com mail).
One other possibility is that you're gettting mail bounced by hosts that are doing a reverse lookup on your public IP and NOT finding the hostname that you give in your HELO SMTP greeting.
ehults

Unable to relay

Post by ehults »

Yes they are both outgoing.

The Zimbra box replaced another mail server. It has the same name and reverse lookup should be happening. I'd expect a wider range of issues if the reverse wasn't in place. Where does Postfix take the hostname from? hostname answers with the FQDN of the box.

The reciepients of the mail are people who have gotten mail from these folks before. It's only with the advent of the new server that the problems started.

Another issue mail to charter.net, comcast.com & yahoo.com is timing out & not going through
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Unable to relay

Post by marcmac »

postfix should be using the logical hostname you configured when you installed (zmlocalconfig zimbra_server_hostname will return this)
ehults

Unable to relay

Post by ehults »

That returns the correct name. I checked the reverse lookup & it works correctly. There was no A record for the mail server. It's worked fine without it but I've added one to the DNS since Zimbra seems to configured defferently than the previous server.

Did Zimbra change any of the other Postfix defaults besides the RFC821 one?
17629anand
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Unable to relay

Post by 17629anand »

we don't set it and rely on postfix getting a reasonable default.
$ postconf smtp_helo_name myhostname
See what the output is. The former is the name used in HELO/EHLO greetings

in the outbound direction.
ehults

Unable to relay

Post by ehults »

echo $myhostname returned an empty string. I've hard coded myhostname & it's still empty.

When I restarted the server I see that I have a bigger problem with connections timing out. Any idea what that is about.

Would moving this box outside the firewall fix this problem?