How long is each release supported for?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
billybofh
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by billybofh »

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere - a quick search didn't show anything up and I couldn't remember seeing anything in the pdf's.
I was just wondering how long each stable release is supported for? Network or opensource versions? Would we be looking at 3+ years?

Billy.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

In general Zimbra has yet to release a stable release or what we plan to call GA (Generally Available). Seeing that this is still very early in the product life cycle it's hard to estimate how long we'll support each release. In general we'll want people to upgrade and not try to patch older software with lots of point releases. That said we'll make sure our customers and community are satisfied and do our best to balance patching old releases with new feature development.
billybofh
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by billybofh »

Thanks for the reply Kevin. It would be really nice to have this as part of the roadmap once Zimbra has stabalised. Generally I'm worried about security updates which could be applied to a given "generally available" zimbra app/bundle - not particulary feature upgrades where I'm quite happy to upgrade to a new version.
Anyway - I'll keep a close eye on things :) Thanks again for the reply :)
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Ahh ok, understand. We plan to introduce a patch infra to handle security updates and fixes. This should address the how, and we'll just need to document the duration that we produce such patches. It'll be better than needing to download the entire Zimbra .tgz again.