SpamAssassin

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
PNE
Advanced member
Advanced member

SpamAssassin

Postby PNE » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:40 am

I'm just a zimbra beginner, so please excuse if my question is stupid.
I have some experience with NoSpamToday, which is nice antispam SMTP gateway for Windows based on SpamAssassin. It seems to me that Zimbra implementation of SA is different and not very understandable for me. I thought that SA principle is that it scores messages by series of tests which has its own scores and then message is or is not considered as spam by total score. Network tests as RBLS are part of scoring system.
Here in zimbra it looks to me that RBLS are not part of scoring. For example, when I use then every message, that is positively tested in NJABL is rejected. So will be rejected all messages from gmail, because it is listed there. (tested). This is not good behaviour.
I have tryied to modify /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf (skip_rbl_checks, required_score, own local rules), but it does not work as expected. What are the possibilities of tweaking SA, like adding user rules, modifying scores, using RBLs and so on?
Thanks Petr.

14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

SpamAssassin

Postby 14319KevinH » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:14 am

By default we ship with RBL's off. If you would have searched on RBL you'd have found this thread, or have found the same informaiton in our docs(You did check the docs first right? :) )
http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887&highlight=rbl
PNE
Advanced member
Advanced member

SpamAssassin

Postby PNE » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:25 am

Yes, I've searched forum before and found that topic. I used that solution, as I wrote above. I set some RBL using "zmprov zimbraMtaRestriction ...", it works. But it works in such way that message is rejected when RBL check is positive. I expected, that message could be only rejected based on total SA score, not due do single positive RBL check. Is this how is SA implemented with Zimbra, or it it just my fault?
Petr
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

SpamAssassin

Postby 14319KevinH » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:57 am

The score will be in the header of the email. View the original email and you can see which service(s) flagged it, the message score, and the thresholds you have configured.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

SpamAssassin

Postby marcmac » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:23 pm

We don't use the RBLs only in SA, we use them in postfix, too - and postfix is set to reject if the RBL hits.
If you don't want that, then "reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org" is probably not what you want in your postfix config (reject rbl client...)
PNE
Advanced member
Advanced member

SpamAssassin

Postby PNE » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:24 am

Thank you, this explains everything!
PNE
Advanced member
Advanced member

SpamAssassin

Postby PNE » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:35 am

Just another spamassassin issue - seems to me that messages from certain size up are not checked by spamassassin. I know it is quite common feature of similar systems because checking large messages takes more resources. But I've noticed some spams getting through my server with attachment size about 65k. These messages have no X-Spam headers. How can I change max message size to be checked by SA?
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

SpamAssassin

Postby marcmac » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:20 am

that's in /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in
PNE
Advanced member
Advanced member

SpamAssassin

Postby PNE » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:35 am

Thanks, found it there as sa_mail_body_size_limit switch.

Return to “Administrators”