Using Remote IMAP?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
a.brandl

Using Remote IMAP?

Post by a.brandl »

Hi all,
I have an existing Mail-Server (SMTP/IMAP) and would like Zimbra to use this remote Mail-Server instead of its own IMAP/SMTP.
Is this possible? How do I configure Zimbra that way?
Regards,

Andy
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Using Remote IMAP?

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="a.brandl"]Hi all,
I have an existing Mail-Server (SMTP/IMAP) and would like Zimbra to use this remote Mail-Server instead of its own IMAP/SMTP.
Is this possible? How do I configure Zimbra that way?[/QUOTE]

You don't, Zimbra is a mail server/collaboration suite and is a complete package - that's the whole point of it. Have a search of the forums this has been asked before. ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
a.brandl

Using Remote IMAP?

Post by a.brandl »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]You don't, Zimbra is a mail server/collaborartion suite and is a complete package - that's the whole point of it. Have a search of the forums this has been asked before. ;)[/QUOTE]
Tried the search, but didnt get it that clear. Thanks!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Using Remote IMAP?

Post by phoenix »

I should also have asked, I guess you meant replace the SMTP/IMAP of Zimbra with your own and not just use your own server as a smart host?
IMO, it's well worth the effort to replace your current set-up with ZImbra but that, of course, is a personal/business decison for everyone to make.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
a.brandl

Using Remote IMAP?

Post by a.brandl »

well, it would be enough to disable the Zimbra-IMAP but use the zimbra-mailclient to connect to _another_ (remote) IMAP server (would be courier)...
therefore I could use zimbra as an large and rich webmail client without having to shutdown my current mailserver...
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Using Remote IMAP?

Post by 14319KevinH »

Our mail client talks SOAP/HTTP not IMAP. So just turning off our IMAP wouldn't help you. Plus you'd lose all the search, tagging, conversations, etc that the Zimbra server provides.