Web caching

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
fmodola
Advanced member
Advanced member

Web caching

Post by fmodola »

Hi all,
I've a question for web performances : my company is multi site and needs that the different remote users can have good performances, reactivity from zimbra without keeping the whole bandwith.
Is it possible to made web caching on the remote offices in order to gain in performances and bandwith ???
Can you explain me how to do that ?
Thanks in advance
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Web caching

Post by 14319KevinH »

In general web caching won't help too much. After the initial login the JavaScript and images are cached locally by the browser. So if you have 100's of remote employees putting in a web cache like squid may help but if you only have a few users it won't make much difference.
fmodola
Advanced member
Advanced member

Web caching

Post by fmodola »

In fact, we have about 60 remote stores (and it grows every 3 months), and each store will have more than 8/10 users in a near future ...
What will be the performances and the bandwith loss on a remote office if all the users open their mailbox ?

Zimbra won't be the only one application (there'll be Axapta, the Microsoft's ERP solution), and the ERP will be prioritary ... so, is there a possibility that Zimbra could not be accessable from this office in this type of situation (today, we have ADSL lines for the whole majority of the stores) ?
Thanks
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Web caching

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="fmodola"]What will be the performances and the bandwidth loss on a remote office if all the users open their mailbox ?[/QUOTE]
Assuming they've all been to webmail before the load on the network is no more than IMAP. The web client is sync based so only the changes are pushed and data is cached locally for the session.
If you're really worried about that you could just use POP as user's would have all the mail locally and there is a reduced number of calls to the server.