AutoRespond/Spam Accounts

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by rsharpe »

Two Questions:
1. Qmail has a little addon called auto respond, it allows for the create of a mail robot. Basically you can send to it and it auto replies, as well as forwards the original message to whomever. This would easily be accomplished by creating a user and setting forward and auto reply, but the only problem is the email still remains in the account mailbox. I don't ever want the email to be delievered to the mailbox, just forwarded to someone elses. Any thoughts or ideas on how to do this?
2. I have a multi server setup LDAP, Mailstore, MTA. I'm seeing some odd messages in my log regarding my spam accounts. I did somelooking at their LDAP entries and they MailTransport attribute is set to sent via LMTP to my LDAP server and no the mail store. I am assuming it is like this because the LDAP server is the first to be installed and at that time the spam accounts are distinguished. My question is can I just remove them and recreate them via command line

zmprov da spammer@xxx.ca

zmprov da hammer@xxx.ca

zmprov ca spammer@xxx.ca

zmprov ca hammer@xxx.ca

and all will be fine??
Thanks for the help.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="rsharpe"]1. Qmail has a little addon called auto respond, it allows for the create of a mail robot. Basically you can send to it and it auto replies, as well as forwards the original message to whomever. This would easily be accomplished by creating a user and setting forward and auto reply, but the only problem is the email still remains in the account mailbox. I don't ever want the email to be delievered to the mailbox, just forwarded to someone elses. Any thoughts or ideas on how to do this?[/QUOTE]
Set the mail transport to be an SMTP address.
[quote user="rsharpe"]2. I have a multi server setup LDAP, Mailstore, MTA. I'm seeing some odd messages in my log regarding my spam accounts. I did somelooking at their LDAP entries and they MailTransport attribute is set to sent via LMTP to my LDAP server and no the mail store. I am assuming it is like this because the LDAP server is the first to be installed and at that time the spam accounts are distinguished. My question is can I just remove them and recreate them via command line

zmprov da spammer@xxx.ca

zmprov da hammer@xxx.ca

zmprov ca spammer@xxx.ca

zmprov ca hammer@xxx.ca

and all will be fine??[/QUOTE]
Yes but we recommend you use random username so they can't be triggered or seen by dictionary type attacks. You'll also want to set the two LDAP attrs to point to these new accounts.
zimbraSpamIsSpamAccount

zimbraSpamIsNotSpamAccount
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by rsharpe »

[QUOTE]Set the mail transport to be an SMTP address.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I quite follow you on this..... are you suggesting I leave my other MTA in place for this one email address.
Or are you suggesting something like this:

zmprov ca autorespond@example.com

zmprov ma autorespond@example.com zimbraPrefOutOfOfficeReplyEnabled TRUE

zmprov ma autorespond@example.com zimbraPrefOutOfOfficeReply "blah blah blah"

zmprov ma autorespond@example.com zimbraMailTransport forward@example.com
If the latter is the case, then will it still send its autorespond message?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

The latter, and yes it should send the auto response.
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by rsharpe »

Unfortunately this did not work as expected. Unless I understood you incorrectly the MailTransport attribute can't take an email address, only IP or hostnames. As well I discovered it will not autoreply if there is a forward in place.
Fortunately I have found away to accomplish my goal using my already implemented Mailman Listing Manager. Thanks for you help!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

mailTransport can take an email address like: smtp:foo@bar.com
I think the default is like lmtp:server.domain.com
Either way glad you got it to work.