Mail box retrieval

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
naturalblue

Mail box retrieval

Post by naturalblue »

I upgraded to 3.1 fro 3.0.1 and everything got f**ked up.

when trying to connect to my server from outside after login it told me it couldn't find the server.

My MX record and my mail server have different names (zimbra.*.* internally and mail.*.* externally)
after trying a few more times upgrading over, changing hostname, i still cannot get anywhere.
i renamed /opt/zimbra to /opt/zimbra.bak, rename my server as mail.*.* the external name, fixed the hosts file and reinstalled a fresh install of zimbra.
is there a way to get the mails/tags/users from the old folder.

i don't mind remaking the users but would like to import the mails back atleast
anyone know of a solution
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mail box retrieval

Post by 14319KevinH »

You can get the mail directly from the directories, but that won't get any folders/tags. I'd recommend you just restore your backup, make sure things are running, then try the upgrade with build 332 and debug from there. Trying to restore just part of the data is quite hard.
naturalblue

Mail box retrieval

Post by naturalblue »

at this point i think i'd just be happy with getting the mail back.

can i just cp the files from the store folder into the store folder or is there more to do.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mail box retrieval

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="naturalblue"]at this point i think i'd just be happy with getting the mail back.

can i just cp the files from the store folder into the store folder or is there more to do.[/QUOTE]

You should shutdown zimbra and make sure there's no zimbra processes running then copy your backup over the new install. When you've done that reboot your system and you should have the original system back.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mail box retrieval

Post by jholder »

A little note to add to Phoenix's comment,

if you used the very first build of the 3.1 release, it's possible you might have some LDAP problems.
If you have a backup of your original (now zimbra.bak), i'd replace the ldap data in the zimbra.bak folder.
Just a heads up.
By the way, all of your messages are stored in /opt/zimbra/db/data
You'll be able to pull just the raw data if nessiary.
I had to recover one time. I pulled the messages to a windows machine, and used the outlook drag & drop to put them back in the proper mailbox.
The problem is you may have no idea who's "mailbox01", so you have to read the message...but there might be an easier way.
I agree with phoenix (It's funny, cause I'm in Phoenix now). Restore your old copy, and install over it. It'll save you headaches. makesure you backup the backup first.
Good luck,

jh
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Mail box retrieval

Post by bobby »

[QUOTE]> By the way, all of your messages are stored in /opt/zimbra/db/data[/QUOTE]
hmm not so fast. the raw message data is stored in /opt/zimbra/store/. the meta-data is in mysql /opt/zimbra/db/data.
[QUOTE]> The problem is you may have no idea who's "mailbox01", so you have to read the message...but there might be an easier way.

>[/QUOTE]
to find out who has mailboxXXX:
mysql -e 'use zimbra; select id,comment from mailbox where id=XXX'