Quickie about port 80 (HTTP) ...

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
ubumail

Post by ubumail »

Hi guys,
I'm looking to install Zimbra on an existing web server that hosts a couple of websites. It's based on Apache 1.3
Having read through the quick-setup guide, I understand Zimbra requires port 80 ... but my question is for what !? Which part of the suite requires port 80 and what doe's it serve !?
I ask because obviously I can reconfigure Apache to use a different port allowing Zimbra free access to port 80, but I would then need to create a rule in the router to redirect port 80 traffic to the new Apache port, therefore never hitting Zimbra !?
All help would be greatly appreciated as usual :cool:
Thanks
Mic
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

It's tomcat that uses port 80 for the WebUI.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
ubumail

Post by ubumail »

Thanks phoenix for the quick reply.
So, if I don't plan on using the web gui (and by this I assume you meant for the users, and not the admin one !?) then I can reconfigure this to run on another port and still have my existing Apache serving to port 80 !?
Thanks again :cool:
Mic Pringle
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Yes, you can reconfigure zimbra to use another port for the UI. You could also use a virtual host in Apache to redirect it to the new zimbra port or users who want the webui could just do zimbrahostname:8080 or whatever you've got. There are some posts around the forum about changing the port and using virtual hosts, do a quick search.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra