start on boot problem

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
vaneck

start on boot problem

Post by vaneck »

hi folks,
For some reason we are having a problem with the startup script at boot time. Zimbra seems like it isn't getting the correct command to start, and just sits there. We can run the script manually without a problem. Below is what processes show up for Zimbra while it is booting.
17399 ? S 0:00 initlog -q -c /etc/rc3.d/S99zimbra start

17400 ? S 0:00 /bin/bash /etc/rc3.d/S99zimbra start

17401 ? S 0:00 su - zimbra -c zmcontrol startup >/opt/zimbra/log/startup.log 2>&1
And this is the command line in the start script:
command()

{

su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol $1 >/opt/zimbra/log/startup.log 2>&1"

}
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

start on boot problem

Post by phoenix »

Is there anything in the logs to indicate why zimbra is 'waiting'? Has this just started happening?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
vaneck

start on boot problem

Post by vaneck »

Not that I have ever seen. Although there may be some obscure line in the logs about it.
I have seen many people saying that they make sure Selinux is disabled. Although I have seen no reasoning why they do this. I have had SElinux set to warn, so that should not be interfering with any processes.
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

start on boot problem

Post by rsharpe »

Is the CPU hanging on anything while Zimbra is attempting to start?
vaneck

start on boot problem

Post by vaneck »

[quote user="rsharpe"]Is the CPU hanging on anything while Zimbra is attempting to start?[/QUOTE]
No. Sorry I didn't specifically say that earlier. The only thing that doesn't start at boot is zimbra. It will do what is posted above and that is it. No errors print, no log entries are made. Zip. zilch. nada. nothing. It just sits there, and sits there, and sits there...
and in case you are wondering Zimbramon will run at it's regularly schedualed intervals.
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

start on boot problem

Post by rsharpe »

[quote user="vaneck"]and in case you are wondering Zimbramon will run at it's regularly schedualed intervals.[/QUOTE]
And does this return that everything is running or everything is stopped?
vaneck

start on boot problem

Post by vaneck »

[quote user="rsharpe"]And does this return that everything is running or everything is stopped?[/QUOTE]
Well, zimbramon does what it's supposed to do, returns the state that zimbra is in. Since zimbra is not starting on boot it returns that zimbra is not running.
Since I've seen that most people disabled SElinux I went ahead and switched from permissive to disabled, and it seems that zimbra is starting on boot now. I don't recall having seen that as a potential problem in the setup guide. So, does anybody know why having SElinux running in permissive mode would still cause problems with zimbra?