Sending mail w/ Thunderbird

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
cutigersfan

Post by cutigersfan »

I'm getting a message when trying to send mail through zimbra's mta that says's relaying isn't allowed. I'm outside my local network and have the box checked to use a user name and password. Any ideas how to allow "authorized users" to use the SMTP server from outside the network?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Check the log in /var/log/zimbra.log see if any clues are there.
cutigersfan

Post by cutigersfan »

"NOQUEUE: reject:" and "Relay access denied" entries No real clues as to why....
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

How about posting the log entries, they may contain more useful information than you've posted. What are you using to try and send the mail? Is it the web interface? Is it an IMAP client anf if so, which one? Which version of Zimbra? Have you made any changes to Zimbra?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
cutigersfan

Post by cutigersfan »

Yes, I can send my log but I think my problem is surrounding the zimbraMtaAuthHost setting. My setup has the computer name 'mailhost.example.com' while the dns entry has 'mail.example.com'. When I look at the AuthHost setting it has the 'mailhost.example.com' as the value. I try to change it to 'mail.example.com', but here's the output:
zimbra@mailhost:/bin$ zmprov ms mailhost.example.com zimbraMtaAuthHost mail.example.com

ERROR: service.INVALID_REQUEST (invalid request: specified zimbraMtaAuthHost does not correspond to a valid service hostname: mail.example.com)

Any advice? Thanks!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Why not just change the DNS entry?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by rsharpe »

I would have to assume that the reason it is spitting out that error is because Zimbra doesn't know about any servers called mail.example.com. You will either have to add a server called mail.example.com or modify a current one.
cutigersfan

Post by cutigersfan »

Ok, I've gotten one step further. Now when connecting to send mail I get this error message in the log file:
warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
Ideas?
cutigersfan

Post by cutigersfan »

I was able to figure out that the sasl service was stopped for some unknown reason. Is there a way to configure the services to automagically restart if they go down for some reason?
Of course I'm curious why it went down at all, but am not sure how to investigate that occurance.
phalek

Post by phalek »

Just one other thing:
As far as i remember, the default config for the Zimbra MTA says:
"TLS authentication only", which is enabled.
Either make sure your mail client uses TLS only to authenticate with Zimbra, or disable that option. Otherwise it will deny relay access of mails
Here's the link to the Wiki describing the problem:
http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title= ... h_Problems