PST Import in the Open Source Edition

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
discredit

Post by discredit »

Hi. I've been checking out the info on your website for the last few days, and reading through the forums, and everything looks great. I'm looking to install Zimbra on my own personal webserver, just to manage my own email. (I've gotten tired of managing sendmail, and I need a web front-end too.)
But I have about 2 GB of email currently stored in PST files on my workstation, and I'd prefer to import all of that mail into Zimbra and keep it all on the server. I've read a few bits and pieces of documentation about the PST Import tool, but I can't quite tell if it's available in the Open Source edition, or if it's strictly a feature of the Network Edition.
Can someone clarify?
Thanks!! From everything I can see here, it looks like you have an excellent product.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Hi
Welcome to the forums. :)
You do realise that Zimbra is a complete solution for email, don't you? You don't install it on your webserver, it installs in it's own directory and it includes it's own servers - Tomcat, MySQL, Postfix as well as anti-spam and anti-virus software.
I'm not a user of Thunderbird and I might be totally off the mark here but, IIRC, you can access a .pst file with that and I think you should be able to copy the mails to a Zimbra account. If that's not correct then I'm sure a more experienced Thunderbird user will correct me.
To answer your question, yes the import tool is for the Network Edition.
HTH
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
discredit

Post by discredit »

Thanks, Bill. But this sentence doesn't make any sense to me:
[quote user="10330phoenix"]You do realise that Zimbra is a complete solution for email, don't you? You don't install it on your webserver, it installs in it's own directory and it includes it's own servers - Tomcat, MySQL, Postfix as well as anti-spam and anti-virus software.[/QUOTE]

I realize zimbra is a complete solution for email, but I don't entirely understand what you mean when you say "You don't install it on your webserver". By this, do you mean that it's not managed by Apache? I already knew that. I understand that zimbra acts as its own MTA and that it listens on its own ports, completely separate from httpd. When I said "webserver", I meant the actual physical server, not the httpd software.
So...I think we're on the same page.
[quote user="10330phoenix"]I'm not a user of Thunderbird and I might be totally off the mark here but, IIRC, you can access a .pst file with that and I think you should be able to copy the mails to a Zimbra account. If that's not correct then I'm sure a more experienced Thunderbird user will correct me.
To answer your question, yes the import tool is for the Network Edition.
HTH[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmm. That's too bad. It's critical for me that I be able to move all my existing messages from my local Outlook archive onto the server. Otherwise, there's not much point in migrating.
The Zimbra people should consider making the PST Import tool (though none of the other Outlook connectivity features) a part of the Open Source edition. It seems like it would encourage more uptake.
Anyhow, rather than migrating from Outlook to Thunderbird and then from Thunderbird to Zimbra, I'll probably just connect directly from Outlook to Zimbra (using IMAP) and then manually drag my messages from the local folders to the IMAP folders. Does that sound like it would work?
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

The migration wizard and import wizard are available for both open source and network editions for free.