Distribution list in external GAL

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
strobhen

Post by strobhen »

Hey, about a week away from deploying Zimbra at my workplace. I have everything figured out but the subject.
I must admit I am only somewhat familiar with LDAP. My looking around seems to be coming up empty. So does anyone have any guidance on setting up distribution lists in an external LDAP directory for use as a zimbra GAL?
Thanks much!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

At this time the distro lists much be local. There is no standard format for external LDAP to support distro lists. So you must create/manage them locally.
strobhen

Post by strobhen »

Thank you for the response.
It looks like GAL entries cannot be members of distribution lists either?
I could, of course, manually enter the e-mail addresses. The only annoyance (admittedly a minor one) is that they will have to be manually managed.
Not a show stopper, just making sure there isn't something I'm missing.
Truth be told I could probably just write a little extension to my application to just spit out a delimited list of e-mails for each list.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="strobhen"]It looks like GAL entries cannot be members of distribution lists either?[/QUOTE]
GAL entries should be able to be a member of a distro list. In the future we plan to add support for user managed distro list so thit may help with some of this. In the short term it's best to write a script like you said.
James Brinkerhoff

Post by James Brinkerhoff »

Does this apply to Active Directory integration as well since at least in that case there is a "standard" (at least to AD) way of grouping users?
If not, then a script can be written from what I know.. using ldapsearch and what not. Anyone happen to have one already?
pambuffington

Post by pambuffington »

We want to use Sympa to manage all of our distribution lists. Potentially pulling all list definition into LDAP and let Zimbra read them from there. Is there a way yet to get Zimbra to look externally for it's distribution list definitions?
Thanks

Pam