Problem with Zimbra Backup/Restore

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
kevindods
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kevindods »

Hi
Just spent 14 hrs trying to get the recommended route for backup restore to work and failed...
Using 3.1.1 -394 ZCS stopped services. Checked all stopped. Copied by rsync the entire opt/zimbra directory to another server.
Installed new server with same hostname and IP, same OS (FC4) fully updated and installed vanilla ZCS. Stopped services and moved required /opt/zimbra into positon and ran install.sh again. Also tried resetting permissions on opt/zimbra with zmfixperms but results were the same.
System comes up, all accounts in place, all mail there, calendar etc. However try to send an email and I get dialogue box with:
msg - system failure: IOException

com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException: system failure: IOException

at com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:131)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(MailSender.java:304)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(MailSender.java:122)

at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.SendMsg.handle(SendMsg.java:97)

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:255)

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:163)

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:84)

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:228)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)

at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:154)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:541)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:667)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/zimbra/store/incoming/1147927093922-10.msg (Permission denied)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:179)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:131)

at com.zimbra.cs.store.FileBlobStore.storeIncoming(FileBlobStore.java:104)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessageInternal(Mailbox.java:2944)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.java:2788)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.java:2760)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(MailSender.java:189)

... 24 more
code - service.FAILURE

method - ZmCsfeCommand.prototype.invoke

detail - soap:Receiver
Only clue I can find is in zimbra.log
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/zimbra/store/incoming/1147927093922-10.msg (Permission denied)

Any clues as to why? Orginal system still works fine so back to that for now but it concerns me that there is no way to back up a working system.
Happy to send attch logs as needed but not sure which!
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

Hi,

Yup. Your problem is that zimbra doesn't have permission to read the message store.
You can fix this by running the following command:
chown -R zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/st*
Good Luck!
PS: By the way, I wrote a little tutorial on how to restore and back up in the wiki: Open Source Edition Backup Procedure
kevindods
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kevindods »

Thats the bleary eyed moment.... ;-) Yes it does now work. What I dont know is why the zmpermsfix doesnt reset that - looks like it is doing so in the script - Ill need some sleep before I get to that again.... I had before, in the multiple changes/installs, tried manually changing the permissions as you suggested but there must have been more hangovers from the failures that time.
I read your wiki entry and a large number of other posts and pdfs but the 'std' approach of using zmpermsfix is the herring of a reddening finish!
Many thanks wannabetenor, early or late riser? I can rest easy now.... off to get the train home... ewww its 7am
Kevin