Migration from One Zimbra box to another

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
kennyfordham

Post by kennyfordham »

For Hardware reasons I need to migrate our Zimbra server.

I would like to do a clean install of 3.1.2 on the new box then migrate the domains, accountpasswords, messages, contacts, so on.
Is there a Doc or procedure for this?
Thanks
Kenny
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JoshuaPrismon »

[quote user="kennyfordham"]For Hardware reasons I need to migrate our Zimbra server.

I would like to do a clean install of 3.1.2 on the new box then migrate the domains, accountpasswords, messages, contacts, so on.
Is there a Doc or procedure for this?
Thanks
Kenny[/QUOTE]
After much pain and suffer compounded by a admin accidently deleting the right directory, but on the wrong server I did manage to actually move the server over. Here is the rough procedure that I used, but bear in mind, there are holes, and you better have a good unix guy around to fix them ;-)
Note that you really should have the machines being named the same. Zimbra gets tempremental if you suddenly change the machine names.
- Upgrade your existing server to 3.1.2.

- Install the new server.

- Copy all of the data directories (store, db, openldap-data) to the new server.

- Copy the local settings xml file (in conf) over to the new server.

- Restart it and hope everything works.
Note, that this really isn't for the faint of heart, and I am sure several zimbra folks are loosing their hair color right now reading this post.