Simplifying office login

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Simplifying office login

Post by 12237Dirk »

When you use MS exchange with the Outlook webbrowser interface, if you access the page from the lan on a domain computer, you dont need to log in to the page. When you access the same page from out of the building, it asks you to log in.
I would dearly love this functionality for Zimbra. I understand that windows keeps it's passwords in one place, and Zimbra in another, but they are both in ldap stores so I'm hoping that there is some way to make them talk to eachother.
I've sort of asked this before and I got the impression that it could be done but I'd need to use a soap interface and lots of other things that I dont understand and couldnt find clear explanations of.
I also use zimbra at home, and feel it would make using the product easier if this was available. It must be of help to others too?
So, would it be possible to have a chat about this, perhaps together we can work out / create a way to have local usage (on the same lan) of zimbra be log-in-free ?
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Simplifying office login

Post by 12237Dirk »

Although, I could accomplish pretty much the same thing if I could just get that damn 'remember me' checkbox on the login page to actually work. When I logged into this forum, I keyed in my username and password and ticked the box and bingo, I never log in again. That's what I want zimbra to do.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Simplifying office login

Post by 14319KevinH »

Dirk does this auto-login work on the same lan for all browsers? Or is this an IE only feature. My guess is it's IE only, which would make it less appealing.
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Simplifying office login

Post by 12237Dirk »

Hard to say, it's been a while since I played with exchange but it uses the authentication feature of IE, NTLM authentication?
We have a Smoothwall Advanced Firewall here at work and that authenticates users in the same way, NTLM.
By default, Firefox does not do this, and a login box is normally displayed, however, you can set an option in the brower to enable the feature. Set the 'network.ntlm.send-lm-response' value to true in the about:config page and it will perform this operation the same as IE.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Simplifying office login

Post by 14319KevinH »

Ahh ok we don't support NTLM today. Seems like a good roadmap item. Please submit a bugzilla ticket for this.
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Simplifying office login

Post by 12237Dirk »

Thank's Kevin, it would be a real nice feature, and I've filed it here:
I'm">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8953
I'm not naive enough to think that it would be simple to do though, as it may need crazy referencing to the Active Directory, but if an early version could be released that even used a lookup table (windows username = zimbra username) so the zimbra client could get the name of the logged on user, discover his zimbra username from the lookup table, establish that he's on the local lan and bingo.
But now I'm rambling, I'll shut up and leave you guys to work :)

Thanks.