Zimbra Vmware Installation issue

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
zm_ayirp

Post by zm_ayirp »

erocm123, Can you post your appliance version # and the VMware software and version you are using such as ESX4,ESX4i etc.? Thanks.
erocm123

Post by erocm123 »

Zimbra version 6.0.7.341 installed is what it says at the web administration page.
I just downloaded the latest version of VMWare Server For Windows.
VMware Infrastructure Web Access

Version 2.0.0

Build 128374
VMware Server

Version 2.0.2

Build 203138
SSNuii

Post by SSNuii »

Zimbra version 6.0.7.341

vSphere 4.1 (ESXi 4.1.0, 260247)
appliance_config.log.txt
sial

Post by sial »

Zimbra version: Zimbra Collaboration Suite Appliance Update to Zimbra_607_341

vSphere 4.0.0.261974.
I have the same problem. I've expertized that configuring the network interface with DHCP at first boot prevents this error. On the other side if I change the ip to public after first run I've problems with outgoing mail(due probably to SMTP authentication)

Usually I run Zimbra on Ubuntu 8.04 with a public IP without any problem.
carpicker

Post by carpicker »

Marc,
I'm not sure if this is a related issue or not, but we have experienced an issue during deployment.
The Deployment tool asks for a DHCP, Static or VMPool IP address to assign to the appliance.
However, it defaults to DHCP, it creates the appliance with a DHCP assigned address. If at any point thereafter you attempt to change the IP address, you will no longer be able to connect to the Administration tab with the following error:
HTTP ERROR 400

Problem Accessing /service/preauth. Reason:

system failure: ZimbraLdapContext
We return the IP to the prior DHCP assigned one and the issue goes away.
Our take is that the Certificate is created with the DHCP IP and will have to be recreated with the correct one.
What can you help us with?
Thanks
carpicker

Post by carpicker »

Here are the versions we're using:
Testing Appliance Ver. 6.0.7.341

VMware vSphere 4.0
Thanks
carpicker

Post by carpicker »

Well Folks,
I have found a way to get around this issue altogether. Here is my solution:
1) Start the VM deployment as indicated by the OVF.
2) before you Start (Power On) the VM, edit the settings by disabling the Network Interface (Un-check Connect at Power UP) and make sure you capture the MAC address for that interface before you click complete. You will need this MAC address later.
3) Power up the VM. Remember that it will display an error stating that it can't find a network connection, get an IP address (DHCP FAIL). This is Ok., so wait until you get the Blue/Black Console to login.
4) a) If you want to use a DHCP - Permanent Lease using the MAC address captured above and make sure you use the same IP address that you have defined in the DNS as the permanent IP that the mail server will use.
4) b) If you are using a Static IP address, now login to the console and change the IP address to the one you have set up in DNS.
5) Once you have set up the correct IP address to either DHCP - Permanent Lease or Static, then go into the VM Edit Settings and Connect the Network Interface.
What you now should have is the correct IP address to issue the installation certificate within LDAP, such that you now can use either the hostname or the IP to access the Management console <https://(hostname or IP):5480>.
When I did the install originally, I had the same issues, after I repeated the install with a Permanent DHCP, it all worked as intended, but the fact that DHCP was still in the picture bothered me, so once I tried the Disconnected Network Interface, I was able to set the valid IP address, Hostname, etc. which ended the issues altogether and now we have a perfect set up.
Unfortunately, the OVA/OVF script can't account for every scenario, so trial and error fixed this one.
Good Luck.
CP
sial

Post by sial »

Thank you Carpicker for your solution, but I've the same issue.

Is there any way to regenerate certificates after the script is gone?
Tahnk you,
SA
jbrowne

Post by jbrowne »

I've downloaded the same VMWare appliance, and have tried to get it running

twice.

Both times, I've run into the same issue: the Administration tab shows "account

is in maintanance mode".
rebooting does not help. reinstall does not help.
VMWare Workstation 6.0.3
I tried the above post about switching off network and turning on (using static IP) after the Zimbra has the IP configuration set. no go.
I uploaded my appliance log to the bug tracker.
jbrowne

Post by jbrowne »

I've decided to install from scratch instead.
It took no more than 3 hours including download time to install Ubuntu 8.0.4 and Zimbra Open Source 6xx
and, this server runs a lot faster and smoother than the appliance.
for those that need assistance, check this link:
How To Install Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS) On Ubuntu | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials