Zimbra Vmware Installation issue

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
sial

Post by sial »

I was doing the same thing just before read your post.
Badabing

Post by Badabing »

Hi, I have the same issue, what i have found is that if you log off from the web interface and log back in, goes back to "normal". I have also found thet the "Zimbra Status" page is not all that accurrate. if the button is green, it is green, but if is red is not always red. Just log to the condole or ssh to it and type /etc/init.d/zimbra status and you will see what I mean. Looks to me like the web interface is way too slow to take too seriously :D
9513GaryL

Post by 9513GaryL »

I had the exact same problem as:
[quote user="andremta"]Hello,
I've installed the Zimbra 6.0.7 appliance in a Vmware Server 2.
I login into the administrator account with the username "vmware" and when I try to access the "Zimbra Administration" page I have this error:
http://i37.tinypic.com/idzj1z.png />

What is the problem?[/QUOTE]

Changing the IP from the assigned DHCP address to an alternative Static address after first boot is what seemed to have caused the problem for me.
To solve this, I took a VM Snapshot straight after adding the Zimbra Appliance to my ESXi datastore (prior to first boot).

I then booted up the appliance, selected to edit the VM and made note of the network MAC address.

I then went to my DHCP box and using the MAC address I noted, I reserved the IP I wanted for the Zimbra Appliance.

Finally I reverted back to snapshot taken prior to first boot, and booted up again.

Now the Zimbra Appliance is using the IP I want, so I simply change from DHCP to Static with all the same address details and all is ok.
(I downloaded the Zimbra Appliance in OVA format and used VMware Converter to add/upload it to my ESXi 4.0.1 server.)
8228klas.olsson@itdc.se

Post by 8228klas.olsson@itdc.se »

[quote user="carpicker"]Well Folks,
I have found a way to get around this issue altogether. Here is my solution:
1) Start the VM deployment as indicated by the OVF.
2) before you Start (Power On) the VM, edit the settings by disabling the Network Interface (Un-check Connect at Power UP) and make sure you capture the MAC address for that interface before you click complete. You will need this MAC address later.
3) Power up the VM. Remember that it will display an error stating that it can't find a network connection, get an IP address (DHCP FAIL). This is Ok., so wait until you get the Blue/Black Console to login.
4) a) If you want to use a DHCP - Permanent Lease using the MAC address captured above and make sure you use the same IP address that you have defined in the DNS as the permanent IP that the mail server will use.
4) b) If you are using a Static IP address, now login to the console and change the IP address to the one you have set up in DNS.
5) Once you have set up the correct IP address to either DHCP - Permanent Lease or Static, then go into the VM Edit Settings and Connect the Network Interface.
What you now should have is the correct IP address to issue the installation certificate within LDAP, such that you now can use either the hostname or the IP to access the Management console <https://(hostname or IP):5480>.
When I did the install originally, I had the same issues, after I repeated the install with a Permanent DHCP, it all worked as intended, but the fact that DHCP was still in the picture bothered me, so once I tried the Disconnected Network Interface, I was able to set the valid IP address, Hostname, etc. which ended the issues altogether and now we have a perfect set up.
Unfortunately, the OVA/OVF script can't account for every scenario, so trial and error fixed this one.
Good Luck.
CP[/QUOTE]
Same problem. I folow abowe, with 4) b. The same result: "account is in maintenance mode". When Zimbra give á solution on this ?
8228klas.olsson@itdc.se

Post by 8228klas.olsson@itdc.se »

[quote user="8228klas.olsson@itdc.se"]Same problem. I folow abowe, with 4) b. The same result: "account is in maintenance mode". When Zimbra give á solution on this ?[/QUOTE]

Now I have try with both the alt. 4 a, and 4 b like describe as follows.

The same result..

Any one , ideá ?
DaFatBloke

Post by DaFatBloke »

I had the same issue and after numerous failed attempts at redeploy I had a quick look at one of the install scripts and found that it defaults its hostname to zimbra.appliance.localdomain .I put a static lease into my dhcp ( static IP will probably work - I'll test that later ) and I added this FQDN entry into my dns server and also my proposed hostname, install completed successfully.

Hope this helps.
carpicker

Post by carpicker »

After debating the Appliance vs. FOSS, we decided to dish the appliance because of having a FOSS production system did not give us a cost effective upgrade path at this time.
I will no longer post on this topic as I will no longer operate an appliance until the next version.
g0llem

Post by g0llem »

But solved thanks to work around of DaFatBloke :
I had the same issue and after numerous failed attempts at redeploy I had a quick look at one of the install scripts and found that it defaults its hostname to zimbra.appliance.localdomain .I put a static lease into my dhcp ( static IP will probably work - I'll test that later ) and I added this FQDN entry into my dns server and also my proposed hostname, install completed successfully.

Hope this helps.

11-10-2010 10:19 AM