Conversion Process

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
CBAC

Conversion Process

Post by CBAC »

Dear Forum,
Currently I am running Red Hat 5 x86 with Zimbra 6.0.7 and I am interested in going to the Zimbra Vmware application instead of having the OS to go to in the future. Do you any of you know of the process of moving from one OS to the Vmware Zimbra Appliance? What OS is being used for this vmware appliance and also do you know of the support that we will be able to get to the root of this appliance? I have my own custom SSL installed that is currently installed. Anybody have any input to this?
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Conversion Process

Post by marcmac »

Can you be more specific? It sounds like you're interested in installing the appliance, and then customizing the platform; that's not really the best use of an appliance. If you are looking for total control of the OS, you should install the standard ZCS application on top of the OS of your choice.
The appliance is built on Ubuntu 8.0.41
CBAC

Conversion Process

Post by CBAC »

I am interested in migrating from my exisiting RedHat 5 x86 machine to the VMWare Appliance. So I was wondering if I could take a full backup from my existing Zimbra Server and then restore it on VMware Appliance and it would included my SSL and everything that I had configured in my current Zimbra Server.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Conversion Process

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="CBAC"]I am interested in migrating from my exisiting RedHat 5 x86 machine to the VMWare Appliance. So I was wondering if I could take a full backup from my existing Zimbra Server and then restore it on VMware Appliance and it would included my SSL and everything that I had configured in my current Zimbra Server.[/QUOTE]
Nope, that's not supported.
CBAC

Conversion Process

Post by CBAC »

Is VMware going to provide a type of migration guide for the people that are looking at doing what I am asking?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Conversion Process

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="CBAC"]Is VMware going to provide a type of migration guide for the people that are looking at doing what I am asking?[/QUOTE]There are migration details all over the forums and in the wiki for moving mailbox data, users, calendar, contacts to a new server - have a look at some of those.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
dagar
Advanced member
Advanced member

Conversion Process

Post by dagar »

I too have been thinking about the possiblity of the conversion to the appliance. I have an additional step in that I am on RHEL4 and still on ver 5 of zimbra. At the very least would have to get another commercial cert. I would be interested to find out from those that have made the switch what issues and steps that they took.