Zimbra with Citrix XenServer

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
8211gbr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 8211gbr »

Hi,
I thought I'd just say that I have Zimbra (Release 5.0.23_GA_3242.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 NETWORK edition for a client and Release 6.0.4_GA_2038.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition for me) running under Citrix XenServer.
The systems have been stable and running fine for over a year.
Gerald
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

I'm also quite happy with XenServer and ZCS.
However, you should be aware that ZCS is only supported with 64 bits OSes on XenServer, due to a problem with LDAP under 32 bits.
8211gbr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 8211gbr »

8141Klug wrote:I'm also quite happy with XenServer and ZCS.
However, you should be aware that ZCS is only supported with 64 bits OSes on XenServer, due to a problem with LDAP under 32 bits.
Did not know that. Everything's been running fine for quite awhile. The Network version authenticates against Active Directory, and the FOSS version just works.
There are plans to move to 64 bit ASAP though.
Why would XenServer 32 bit be any different than hardware 32 bit for LDAP?
Gerald
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

8211gbr wrote:Why would XenServer 32 bit be any different than hardware 32 bit for LDAP?
There's a bug in xen, you'll find details in the forums and bugzilla on the problem. Some installations work fine (I had a 32bit xenserver that ran for years with no problems) and others fail.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Bug 39498 – Xen: 4gb seg fixup, process slapd immediately after install
8211gbr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 8211gbr »

Is this a known issue with Citrix XenServer as well as straight Xen? I didn't see any info in the bug about XenServer specifically. I know Citrix does some large modifications to the base Xen.
Gerald
ps: This is all basically academic, since I'm moving to 64 bit fairly soon anyway (as soon as a stable Ubuntu 10.04 comes out)
bunny

Re: Zimbra with Citrix XenServer

Post by bunny »

Klug wrote:I'm also quite happy with XenServer and ZCS.
Sir, I would like to know how to setup zimbra on Xenserver specially about how to manage storage of 6TB that has to be configured on RAID.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Sir,
I tried installing zimbra on Xen server. But I feel that there is storage limitation in open source of Xen. I am using opensource Xen server and I wanted to use 6TB storage space for zimbra mailbox. Please suggest me how to proceed further.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

bunny wrote:Sir,
I tried installing zimbra on Xen server. But I feel that there is storage limitation in open source of Xen. I am using opensource Xen server and I wanted to use 6TB storage space for zimbra mailbox. Please suggest me how to proceed further.
Create three 2TB virtual disks in XenServer and attach those disks to the Zimbra VM. Then within the Zimbra VM, use LVM to create a 6TB partition you can mount as /opt. Then you can install Zimbra.

Hope that helps,
Mark
bunny

Post by bunny »

Thank you Sir for your prompt reply. I will try creating virtual disks.
L. Mark Stone wrote:
bunny wrote:Sir,
Create three 2TB virtual disks in XenServer and attach those disks to the Zimbra VM. Then within the Zimbra VM, use LVM to create a 6TB partition you can mount as /opt. Then you can install Zimbra.

Hope that helps,
Mark