[SOLVED] Adding extra storage to a zimbra virtual appliance

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
Badabing

Post by Badabing »

Greetings,
I have just installed a zimbra virtual appliance in a vmware ESXi 4.1.0.

After the installation, I have added an extra datastore to the ESX from an iSCSI target (1Tb). Of tha 1Tb, I want to use some of it to store the users e-mail. Adding the extra storage to the zimbra virtual machine is no big issue, however, I need to know where does the mail reside in zimbra so I can go and create a simbolic link or something along those lines to store it in the iSCSI target
Badabing

Post by Badabing »

Well, I added the virtual disk to the appliance and restart it so i could create a file system, mount it and see if I could get it to work. It happens that as the machne restarted, it found the disk, created the file system and decided to use it without letting me know how!!!!

If I were a follower of uncle Billy and his band of nasty guys from Redmond, i would be happy, but I need to know where the data is actually going. The whole idea of having this extra space is that if for some reason we need to move the virtual machine we can keep the data separate. Sure the MS bunch can not see the problem there, but sensible people can!

:eek:
Badabing

Post by Badabing »

Well, thanks for all the answers, the solution is simpler than I thought, just edit /etc/init.d/zimbraExpandLV and comment out a couple of lines.

Look for update_vami_crt and for do_extend. When you find them, comment them out. then you can use the iSCSI initiator to add the extra scsi storage and LVM will be none the wiser :D

Then, assuming you have mounted your iscsi under /iscsi, create /iscsi/zimbra and create a couple of simbolic links from /opt/zimbra/data and /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.6.6.2z to the correstopnding /iscsi/zimbra
You are done,
Badabing!

:cool:
robwetz

Post by robwetz »

Sorry to see no one replied to your questions but I really appreciate you posting the solution, Badabing! You helped me out.
Quick question. Why did you comment out the update_vami_crt function? It seems like it only updates certificates. (I realize this is about 9 months later but i'm just curious)