Veeam Backup

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
crandall348

Veeam Backup

Post by crandall348 »

Has anyone used Veeam to backup Zimbra?
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Veeam Backup

Post by ccelis5215 »

[quote user="crandall348"]Has anyone used Veeam to backup Zimbra?[/QUOTE]
Hi crandall348,
Pls look at
ccelis">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/virtualiza ... nment.html
ccelis.
Chicken76

Veeam Backup

Post by Chicken76 »

Hi crandall348,
I'm using Veeam Backup to backup the whole VM that runs ZCS. Do you have any specific questions/problems?
crandall348

Veeam Backup

Post by crandall348 »

[quote user="Chicken76"]Hi crandall348,
I'm using Veeam Backup to backup the whole VM that runs ZCS. Do you have any specific questions/problems?[/QUOTE]
Do you have to stop Zimbra services when you backup the VM? I'm running Zimbra Open Source
Chicken76

Veeam Backup

Post by Chicken76 »

[quote user="crandall348"]Do you have to stop Zimbra services when you backup the VM? I'm running Zimbra Open Source[/QUOTE]

I'm also running the Open Source edition and I'm backing up the whole VM without stopping Zimbra services. I'm even doing this during the day, when people are probably logged on, and doesn't seem to affect performance to a noticeable level and only takes about 10 minutes to run. Of course, my setup is not big, only about 30 accounts, so if you have a lot of emails stored and a lot of accesses, it might take longer and see a slowdown.
Veeam is able to do consistent backups (I think it does a snapshot, backs that up and then merges that snapshot back), so if you're restoring one of those it would be like powering up a machine after a power failure. Research the problems one might encounter after an unexpected power failure to get an idea of how good/reliable those backups are and what to expect. Personally, I've had Zimbra servers lose power and had no problem upon power-up, but that only happened a handful of times, so ...

Always test your backups!!!
But don't rely only on Veeam for backups. I also backup (just Zimbra) nightly, when I can afford to stop it. There are guides on the forums for that.
Don't take my word as a guarantee. I have limited experience with either Zimbra and Veeam. (have started using Veeam a few months ago, and Zimbra a little more than a year ago)
Hope this helps.
crandall348

Veeam Backup

Post by crandall348 »

[quote user="Chicken76"]I'm also running the Open Source edition and I'm backing up the whole VM without stopping Zimbra services. I'm even doing this during the day, when people are probably logged on, and doesn't seem to affect performance to a noticeable level and only takes about 10 minutes to run. Of course, my setup is not big, only about 30 accounts, so if you have a lot of emails stored and a lot of accesses, it might take longer and see a slowdown.
Veeam is able to do consistent backups (I think it does a snapshot, backs that up and then merges that snapshot back), so if you're restoring one of those it would be like powering up a machine after a power failure. Research the problems one might encounter after an unexpected power failure to get an idea of how good/reliable those backups are and what to expect. Personally, I've had Zimbra servers lose power and had no problem upon power-up, but that only happened a handful of times, so ...

Always test your backups!!!
But don't rely only on Veeam for backups. I also backup (just Zimbra) nightly, when I can afford to stop it. There are guides on the forums for that.
Don't take my word as a guarantee. I have limited experience with either Zimbra and Veeam. (have started using Veeam a few months ago, and Zimbra a little more than a year ago)
Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Are you using the Veeam Free Backup Edition?
Chicken76

Veeam Backup

Post by Chicken76 »

[quote user="crandall348"]Are you using the Veeam Free Backup Edition?[/QUOTE]

No, the Essentials pack (the one with Veeam One).
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Veeam Backup

Post by danielfarrelly »

We use Veeam to backup the system image of Zimbra. Would not recommend backing up the actual mail store (aka /opt) unless it's a smaller install. If you're a larger environment, you'd probably be better off sticking to the built-in Zimbra backup, then snapshotting the actual mail store at the SAN level.
crandall348

Veeam Backup

Post by crandall348 »

[quote user="danielfarrelly"]We use Veeam to backup the system image of Zimbra. Would not recommend backing up the actual mail store (aka /opt) unless it's a smaller install. If you're a larger environment, you'd probably be better off sticking to the built-in Zimbra backup, then snapshotting the actual mail store at the SAN level.[/QUOTE]
We have about 120 email users.
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Veeam Backup

Post by danielfarrelly »

[quote user="crandall348"]We have about 120 email users.[/QUOTE]
How large is your mail db; more important, how large are the vmdk(s) comprising your mail store?