ZCA 7-initial setup

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
mastoras1

ZCA 7-initial setup

Post by mastoras1 »

I'm trying to setup zca 7 on my windows 7 pc.I run it through Vmware workstation and have NAT as connection at the vmware settings.
Well I get an IP and then I have done the initial settings with hostname and

admin email-pass.In hostname I put "Zimbra" and then as email:

info@vagelisfragkos.com which is hosted in a windows vps and the registrar

is godaddy with DNS set in godaddy from the VPS.
Now what I want:(2 things)

1.To get emails on the zimbra collaboration server from this email

So does it matter that I used "Zimbra" as hostname?

When I try to send an email it shows "Message not sent; one or more addresses were not accepted.Rejected addresses: name@domain.com"

So how can I play with domain which is public(site) and send via zimbra emails to either other new accounts locally on the Internet(gmail.com)?
2.I want to setup this on the company I work for.(always as an appliance)

What I want there is to have the zimbra server actually host the mails locally but use a public domain set in company's registrar which is godaddy.I think here I should change the dns in godaddy to point at the static IP in my company's local domain but I'm not sure how to set it up with hostname and so on.
Please help me.

Thank you very much.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

ZCA 7-initial setup

Post by phoenix »

Go to the Split DNS article and read what's necessary for running Zimbra behind a NAT router.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mastoras1

ZCA 7-initial setup

Post by mastoras1 »

Thank you for your instant reply.The ZCA is on ubuntu 10.04lts(the original bundle from zimbra.com)So in the link you posted I should do whatever it says about Ubuntu.So I'll also have to stop ALL the services in Zimbra Administation,right?
Then I will proceed with those alterations?Will it be possible to send email to external accounts as gmail.com or I'll have to do this ?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

ZCA 7-initial setup

Post by phoenix »

There should be no reason why you couldn't send emails externally when you've configured the DNS.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
mastoras1

ZCA 7-initial setup

Post by mastoras1 »

Great.I'm going to play with it and try and keep you informed.Because once I test it for me then I'll consult my company to buy the NE with perpetual license.

One thing I can't understand,please clarify,is the hostname.I can put whatever I want or what?

Because now I get my emails for :info@vagelisfragkos.com

by mail.vagelifragkos.com and the host is the windows vps

So what will i put in my zimbra at home to host the mails for this email

and what settings on Godaddy(probably the DNS/IP of vmware's host?)
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

ZCA 7-initial setup

Post by phoenix »

The details of what you enter in the /etc/hosts file is in the split DNS article. You need a hostname (something like 'mail' - it can be any name you like) and a domain name (it can also be anything you like but I find it easier to use the correct domain name that will be receiving the email - yourdomain.com) - that gives you the full entry (the FQDN or Fully Qualified Domain Name) for the hosts file of:
192.168.1.1 mail.yourdomain.comWhen you said earlier that you've given the appliance a NAT address do you mean a valid IP address on your LAN that can be reached by forwarding a port through your router?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
mastoras1

ZCA 7-initial setup

Post by mastoras1 »

bind9 is obsolete but dnsutils it's the replacement,which is already installed for zca 7.So I will proceed with changing the named.conf file ?
mastoras1

ZCA 7-initial setup

Post by mastoras1 »

192.168.1.1 mail.yourdomain.comWhen you said earlier that you've given the appliance a NAT address do you mean a valid IP address on your LAN that can be reached by forwarding a port through your router?[/QUOTE]
I mean that the setting in vmware workstation for Network adapter in set to

"NAT".I now use the "Host Only" and I access the web administration and client but the same error for external mail as previous with NAT.
If I'm not mistaken once you unzip the appliance the default setting is "Bridged"

but shows https://0.0.0.0:5480 so I have changed it to NAT or Host Only