Zimbra on CentOS 5.7 VM in Windows 2008 R2 Hyper V

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
pinemail11

Post by pinemail11 »

Hi,
I am new to Zimbra.
Our organization is planning to implement Zimbra Open Source in our existing Windows 2008 R2 Hyper V environment.

Zimbra open source 7.1.3 will be installed on CentOS 5.7 VM
I want to know whether Zimbra on Centos 5.7 will be supported on Windows Hyper V?
Thanks
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

lol i dont think so - zimbra is now vmware

i cant see a kvm support forum here either lol
anyway zimbra is suported on cent so the hypervisor platform should not matter
specific bugs in that envirment are more a thing of ms / centos support
btw opensourc eisnt supported at all as far i know only netowrk edition or what you mean exactly with supported

btw: just a personal opinion i would not go with cnet os anymore - they are in heavy troubles and the os for zimbra is a think you relal dont want to change in a long time
even its not explicit supported - it shoudl work - on scientific linux (its almost the same as cnet but supported by some major science institutes)

or go with redhead
if you dont need the rpm / redhead feeling you really may consider ubuntu (do bad latest debian isnt supported yet)
dont get me wrong this is not a "wich distribution is better" question - more a how relyable is a project and to bad but cent os proofed in manyway to be troubly - and maybe already dead in the midterm
kruon
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kruon »

Make sure your Hyper-V is SP1 patched to get dynamic memory features.

Use Centos 6.1 rather than 5.7, as it's essentially RHEL6. 6.2 is out, but some are reporting issues with hyper-v.

It's supported in Hyper-V with Linux Integration Services 3.2, which you can grab from Microsoft site
End result should be working system without too much effort.

Is it officially supported? Most likely not, since Centos isn't listed as supported platform, so you're stuck with community support.

But you shouldn't have too much trouble with it either, unless you start modifying the system too much.