Windows Backup of Linux (Zimbra) on Hyper-V Crashes Linux

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
derekcripps

Post by derekcripps »

Good morning,
I have Ubuntu Server 14.04 running on a Windows stand alone core installation of Hyper-V.  When I run the windows backup, the Linux box crashes and I have to restart the server.
Here is what I can see:
1. Backup fails with "The component [servername] was skipped during the snapshot and will not be available for recovery. Error: The writer experienced a transient error.
2. During the backup, the console displays several errors about tasks being blocked for more than 120 seconds.
3. Once the backup completes, the console is hung, and I can only reboot to get the server back online.
I have the VSS and KVP daemons installed as per: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/libr ... 31029.aspx
Do I need to stop Zimbra for the backup to run?  Has anyone else run into this?
Thanks!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You should never rely on a VM backup for a backup of your Zimbra server, you should do a backup of ZCS from within your VM - snapshots are never a foolproof backup solution.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
2550ASONInc

Post by 2550ASONInc »

I have the same issue now that I have upgraded from 8.0.8 to 8.5.1. This is now causing my vm to hange because the java process runs out of memory upon resume of VM. Please HELP!
derekcripps

Post by derekcripps »

I found a workaround here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... ionmanager

"As a workaround i've turned off 'Backup (volume checkpoint)' in the Integration Services panel for this VM."

Give it a try, and see if it helps...