Zimbra ubuntu 16.04 in virtualbox

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
extromen

Zimbra ubuntu 16.04 in virtualbox

Post by extromen »

Hi guys,

im so sorry, i dont have too experience with zimbra and can you give me please advice. I already installed ubuntu 16.04 in virtualbox and then i tried to install zimbra, but i know, that i need to set dns (set ip, FQDN, hostname), can you give me please advice what all i need and how to set in virtualbox? This machine is just inside virtualbox with ip 10.0.2.15 and i want zimbra just to test in LAN. So is there any option how to set hostname,FQDN just in ubuntu in virtualbox to install zimbra? Can you please give me advice how to set this?

Thank you very much!
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Zimbra ubuntu 16.04 in virtualbox

Post by 10424bofh »

uhm i dont remeber

either its enough to set the hostname in /etc/hosts as a fully qualified
or
you also need an dns entry

i think the easiest way would be to just install bind9 and setup and internal domain
and set the resolve.conf to point at localhost

you can create any domain you want locally in bind 9 and dont worry bind9 will lookup any other domain not defined in its config over the root dns server
or on a forwarding host defined in its config.

shouldnt be to hard, normaly a 10 minute job
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

The easiest thing to do would be to read the Split DNS wiki article, it tells you everything you need to know.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi guys,
As phoenix said, read the SplitDNs article is a good idea, another one is following this blog post, especially the DNS part with dnsmasq, much more lightweight than bind, and easy to configure too. Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/