CRM, Document Mgm, Knowledge Mgm, UM

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
GertThiel

Post by GertThiel »

Today ZCS handles calendars, contacts and emails only. ZCS covers less than 25% of my digital business life :(
Allow me to start with a list of other valuable digital assets:

bookmarks

documents (letters, spreadsheets ...)

files (Project related file like source code)

journal (contact history, phone calls ...)

notes (draft docs or wiki pages)

web sites (cached and indexed)

Even more relevant acronyms: CalDAV, WebDAV and Unified Messaging.
And most important: The single information does not matter, the relation is the key to success. I'm sure, ZCS would be of much greater and more universal use if it would avoid the digital divide.
I'm no Java guru, but I'm considering to contribute to ZCS.
- Gert
BTW: For a good example of the power of an integration solution see trac, an enhanced wiki and issue tracking system for software development projects.
Teesh

Post by Teesh »

Gert:
Thanks for your feedback and your offer to help. We appreciate it.
Absolutely 100% agree about the digital divide - we hope to close it as much as possible. By no means are we stopping at where we are. Some of the things you are talking about specifically wrt document management and UM are at the top of our wish list. CalDav - we are following this very closely. Looks like this spec is not baked fully. Anywhere there is an open standard - we want to be the first to embrace it. Anywhere there is an opportunity for integration we want to be part of it. Again - this is an early stage project and it will continue to evolve in many interesting ways - our communities desires (and code :-) will primarily dictate its next stages.
Your offer to help with the German translation is much appreciated. One of our developers will be in touch with you to kick start that asap.
thanks,

Satish
GertThiel

Post by GertThiel »

Satish,
it's also a matter of the front end. Today the ZCS is focused on emails which are presented seperated from the contacts.

What do you think of master-details views showing

a contact and its related appointments, emails ...

a project and its related ...

I'm sure you got the idea.
- Gert
fselendic

Post by fselendic »

I just came across your site, and the beta version looks really nice. I too agree with poster that asked for more; pure PIM software nowdays isn't nearly enough for enterprises. However, I would like to point out that there is a huge number of "almost done" OSS projects out there which almost all share around of 70 % functionallity, with other 30 % out there in flux (for example, SugerCRM has CRM, but misses good document managment, good project/tasks management, OpenExange has those but misses CTI and CRM, etc..). I hope that a new trend of starting up "professional" opensource, will and could change that. But ONLY if you start to collaborate. For example, please, PLEASE, do not try to write document management yourselves. There is alfresco.org, guys from Documentum, with great great product. They have experience, great architecture, they have funding, they have similar business plan, they have MLP, they plan to cover JSR 170 (repository) and already cover JSR 168 (Portal). And they are not finished yet, so please contact them, and try to join efforts. My team will soon be doing some work on one big contract, which will include portions of ERP, CRM, and CTI (contact management, VOiP, call center, integration with Asterisk). By the nature of the job we will be forced to use IBM tools, however, all of it is based on SOB, has to be integrated via BPEL worklow. We plan to OS our work later, and to remove proprietary work (other guys are doing DM, Project management and such), and sort of plug free software, like Alfresco, Zimbra etc. It would be great if 5 or 10 funded firms could do whatever they are experts in around a loosely coupled but defined architecture, without stepping on each other. Please consider Alfresco, for a start. I'm sure you wont be sorry. Oh, yes, consider standard workflow (like BPEL), and standard Portal architecture.
GertThiel

Post by GertThiel »

[quote user="fselendic"]There is alfresco.org[/QUOTE]
I've taken a first look. The concept of "spaces" seems to be a useful implementation to my "digital divide" concerns.
But it lacks the dimension of urgency.
- Gert
fselendic

Post by fselendic »

[quote user="GertThiel"]I've taken a first look. The concept of "spaces" seems to be a useful implementation to my "digital divide" concerns.
But it lacks the dimension of urgency.
- Gert[/QUOTE]
Dimension of urgency? What do you mean by that?
GertThiel

Post by GertThiel »

[quote user="fselendic"]Dimension of urgency? What do you mean by that?[/QUOTE]
To organize stuff in folders or space means to group them by context, topic or alike.
Urgency means that — across all contexts — I need some information presented by there dead line for example.
- Gert
fselendic

Post by fselendic »

[quote user="GertThiel"]To organize stuff in folders or space means to group them by context, topic or alike.
Urgency means that — across all contexts — I need some information presented by there dead line for example.
- Gert[/QUOTE]

I see. Alfresco is a work in progress (which is kinda nice because we can influence some of their priorities), check out their forums and rest of the site for their planed features and roadmap (http://www.alfresco.org/mediawiki/index.php/Roadmap). As I already pointed out, one of the founders of Alfresco is (was) a founder of Documentum, those guys know what they are doing, and I'm sure that something that important (lifecycle management) won't be overlooked.
GertThiel

Post by GertThiel »

See also my My Blueprint of Alfresco post at the Alfresco forums.
- Gert