What OS port should be next?

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
jkomar

Post by jkomar »

+1 for Gentoo please.
Cheers,
10221Charles

Post by 10221Charles »

I'm a long-term FreeBSD user, and the biggest ISPs use FreeBSD, it's a rock-solid OS, so I voted for FreeBSD :rolleyes:
einheit

Post by einheit »

Since your product already runs on rhel-4, porting to suse (the other enterprise distro), also rpm-based, and also based on the 2.6 kernel, would be the easiest port, and the logical next step.
FWIW, suse enterprise users are going to be a lot more likely to come up with $$$ to purchase cool stuff from you than the debian crowd ;)
TankEnMate

Post by TankEnMate »

I know this isn't a port per se, but is there going to be support for gcj? Also is there going to be support for other JavaVM's like kaffe?
btpier

Post by btpier »

+1 more for Solaris (9,10). As for being delusional, I still prefer solaris to any other varient of unix. It's got it's quirks but it's as or more stable than anything else in use.
Zimbra looks to be an awesome product, I can't wait to get it installed and demo it to a few small business clients.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="einheit"]Since your product already runs on rhel-4, porting to suse (the other enterprise distro), also rpm-based, and also based on the 2.6 kernel, would be the easiest port, and the logical next step.
FWIW, suse enterprise users are going to be a lot more likely to come up with $$$ to purchase cool stuff from you than the debian crowd ;)[/QUOTE]

Are goal first is to make the build portable. After this all the ports should be easier.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="TankEnMate"]I know this isn't a port per se, but is there going to be support for gcj? Also is there going to be support for other JavaVM's like kaffe?[/QUOTE]
At this time we don't plan on trying to support multiple JVM's in Zimbra. Of course it should be trivial for someone to try to compile the source with one and report back. I doubt it'll just work but it may identify the amount of incompatibility those JVM's have with our code base.
CptanPanic

Post by CptanPanic »

Where's Gentoo on the poll. +1 for Gentoo.
daimer77

Post by daimer77 »

If the Zimbra team ports this software to Solaris I promise to brag about it whereever I come around :)
Zimbra on Solaris ? If that happens MS exchange will gracefully fade out...
From an excited observer of Zimbra.
Br, Daniel
jbilbo

Post by jbilbo »

Would be great an Ubuntu port, but i voted for Debian. To Ubuntu from Debian should be easy...