Using the client with our existing infrastructure

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
8210rob

Post by 8210rob »

We have existing mail, calendar, and IM infrastructure (based on IMAP, SMTP, LDAP, XMPP, iCal, etc) that we're not willing to part with (we've spent 6+ years building it, and for the moment its further along than Zimbra can provide). However we're very interested in the client - we've been prototyping something similar and its going to take a long time to get it to where we want it.
Obviously, with the source available, its possible to take the client and hook it up to our existing infrastructure. I'd like to know how difficult it would be to do this. I've read your whitepaper docs, but haven't had chance to dig into the code yet.
What would be really great for us would be documentation of the XML protocol used by the client to talk to the servlets. We're a Perl shop here, and it wouldn't be a difficult task for us to replace the servlets with a light Perl layer that arbitrates between the client and the backend servers. Is any kind of documentation like this available?
Congratulations on an excellent product. We look forward to experimenting with it and hopefully, if its suitable, contributing code back to the project :)
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

You can *cheat* and launch the client with ?debug=1 this will dump the requests/responses for you. We've doc'd the soap calls in soap*.txt files which are in the ZimbraServer/docs dir in the source download.
8210rob

Post by 8210rob »

Thanks for the pointers. I'm liking the debug already.