[SOLVED] Is zimbra really open source product ?

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
hernad

Post by hernad »

At first place, I just wanted to reply to this thread missing-thirdparty-directory-souce-tarballs, and to say: good points dijichi2 !
But, at the and I have focused on much wider topic.
I am not free software purist. Every vendor has rights to do things on its own way. But if you proclaim yourself as an open source vendor, there are rules you have to respect.
Zimbra is a great product, and it already gained great momentum on messaging product's market .

I am sure that announcing zimbra as open source had big impact on that fact.
During past few months, you have announced many new options and great features which are proclaimed as open source.
Are they really open source ?

You have posted an false statement on the site http://www.zimbra.com/products/desktop.html[/url]
[QUOTE]...

Zimbra Desktop benefits:

* It's open source; expensive investments in proprietary clients are no longer required

...[/QUOTE]
This is false statement because of the simple fact: there is no source code until now.

It is not open. It will be. May be, may be not.
Recently, new neat feature is announced: briefcase
Great, but to many us, there are again important unanswered questions:

* Is it going to be included in open source edition ?

* If it is going, why we cannot look now at the source code ?
Let's go back to the core product.
I have looked at wiki pages

Building_the_software_yourself , and searched source documentation of zcs-5.0.0_BETA2_1095-src.tgz.

Again, I have no clue how to build zcs from source. There are only rumors on forums it is possible, but it is nightmare to build third party products.
After watching activities during last 4 months, IMO, it is intentionally.

You develop your products internally. Involvement of outside (community) developers is not your priority.

The main purpose of releasing new source is to keep "open source" buzzword in your marketing.

The best example is dijichi2's solaris port effort:

thread about solaris port
I interpret Ken's response from this thread like this:
Open source edition is the playing ground for NE.

Until there is no enough commercial interest, community efforts are not going to be included.

All that lead to the conclusion: zimbra is not open source product, regarding basic open source rules and concepts.
Anyway, you can continue develop zimbra in whatever direction you consider best for your company.
If you don't need community contributions, just say that.

If you don't want to synchronize source tree regularly, just say that.
In that case please don't abuse term open source.
Regards,

Ernad
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="hernad"]

During past few months, you have announced many new options and great features which are proclaimed as open source.
Are they really open source ?

You">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-des ... ource.html
You have posted an false statement on the site http://www.zimbra.com/products/desktop.html
This is false statement because of the simple fact: there is no source code until now. It is not open. It will be. May be, may be not.

[/QUOTE]
Zimbra Offline (aka Desktop) has been open source since it's inception
micro sync server code and derby port are here:

SourceForge.net Repository - [zimbra] Index of /trunk/ZimbraOffline
rest of the code is available here:

SourceForge.net: Files
[quote user="hernad"]

Recently, new neat feature is announced: [URL=briefcase[/URL, but to many us, there are again important unanswered questions:

* Is it going to be included in open source edition ?

* If it is going, why we cannot look now at the source code ?

[/QUOTE]
Again this is available and has been in the code since Beta 2

SourceForge.net: Files
ZimbraWebClient/WebRoot/js/zimbraMail/briefcase
[quote user="hernad"]

If you don't need community contributions, just say that.

If you don't want to synchronize source tree regularly, just say that.
In that case please don't abuse term open source.

[/QUOTE]
See more info about the source tree and plans here:

In">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/developers ... #post56905
In short we thank you for your patience as we work to get our live source tree back online and in sync.
hernad

Post by hernad »

Kevin, thank for these informations, especially for clarification about source tree synchronization.
I must say issue like that should't be 4-5 month open. For example, people from Aptana: The Web IDE also develop their product with perforce. And they provide direct anonymous access to the source.
Anyway, access to the source trunk is not enough to answer to my thread question.

For really open source product there is interest to developer's feedback.
How many developers outside your company hacking last zimbra source 5 beta 2 (writing source for new functions, debugging source etc.) ?
How many of them have built zimbra desktop ?

To be clear:
I really like your products. On the other side, for me open source nature of the product is the key factor for its adoption. Whenever I have choice.
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JoshuaPrismon »

[quote user="hernad"]Kevin, thank for these informations, especially for clarification about source tree synchronization.
I must say issue like that should't be 4-5 month open. For example, people from Aptana: The Web IDE also develop their product with perforce. And they provide direct anonymous access to the source.
Anyway, access to the source trunk is not enough to answer to my thread question.

For really open source product there is interest to developer's feedback.
How many developers outside your company hacking last zimbra source 5 beta 2 (writing source for new functions, debugging source etc.) ?
How many of them have built zimbra desktop ?

To be clear:
I really like your products. On the other side, for me open source nature of the product is the key factor for its adoption. Whenever I have choice.[/QUOTE]
herad,
First a disclaimer, I don't speak for Zimbra.
Second, I can only speak for myself but I can definitely confirm that I was able to build both B1 and B2 from the svn howto. I can also confirm that I have had a fair bit of work adopted into the tree from the initial DSPAM integration to some patches I sent last week for zimlet behavior fixes. I have never tried to build the desktop code, but since it's so closely linked to the main code, I doubt there are any troubles there.