Connect - TURN server

Interested in talking about Mash-up's? This is the place.
marko

Connect - TURN server

Post by marko »

If I configure 2 accounts on this way:
zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp username user credential pass account user1@domain.com
zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp username user credential pass account user2@domain.com

I can establish connection if user1 is on VPN, and user2 is on public internet. But I thinks that this is not a good idea (because of number of users), so I try to configure TURN based on COS or DEFAULT, but without any success. Is there some problem in commands:

Based on COS:
zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp username user credential pass cos cosName

Based on DEFAULT:
zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp username user credential pass

Many thanks!
rleiker
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Connect - TURN server

Post by rleiker »

marko wrote:If I configure 2 accounts on this way:
zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp username user credential pass account user1@domain.com
zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp username user credential pass account user2@domain.com
Marko,

If you have not already, take a look at my guide for setting up a STUN/TURN server: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=67960 . This will help ensure you have all of the settings on your TURN server correct. While the "zxsuite connect iceServer add" command does allow defining a TURN server globally, by COS, or by account, you may find it difficult to scale up by specifying a TURN server per account. I would suggest this command instead to specify a single global TURN server to start:

zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp credential pass username user

In speaking with somone a few weeks ago who does support at Zextras, he explained that while the "zxsuite connect iceServer add" command will allow multiple TURN server user accounts to be used, Zimbra Connect is designed to only use the first user account that is configured. So, for example, if you used:

zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp credential pass1 username user1
zxsuite connect iceServer add turn:[IP]:443?transport=tcp credential pass2 username user2

The "user2" TURN account would never be used by Zimbra Connect. I am guessing Zextras built it this way with the intent to introduce some kind of load balancing in the future, but that capability apparently does not yet exist in Zimbra Connect. My understanding is that the majority of Zimbra Connect users will use WebRTC peer-to-peer connections, with an estimated 20% of Zimbra Connect users needing to fall back to a TURN server for connectivity.