new domains

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
rmvg
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

new domains

Post by rmvg »

I am wondering how i can set up zimbra domains and subdomains. I have named my zimbra server mx1.canmail.org and have a webpage running on another server at canmail.org and http://www.canmail.org using DNS. My question is how do i make zimbra accept logins in the form user@canmail.org rather than user@mx1.canmail.org. When i try to add the domain canmail.org nothing happens completely differnt domains add as normal.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

new domains

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="rmvg"]I am wondering how i can set up zimbra domains and subdomains. I have named my zimbra server mx1.canmail.org and have a webpage running on another server at canmail.org and http://www.canmail.org using DNS. My question is how do i make zimbra accept logins in the form user@canmail.org rather than user@mx1.canmail.org. When i try to add the domain canmail.org nothing happens completely differnt domains add as normal.[/QUOTE]
The issue here is that the domain canmail.org already exists in ldap, though not as a full domain - when we create the mx1.canmail.org domain, we create canmail.org first, though not as a "full" domain. We're working on a way to "promote" such domains.
You can accomplish this, though it's tricky. You'll need an ldap browser, and be comfortable using it, or have the skills to create and use ldif files and ldapmodify.
To accomplish what you want, create a temporary domain (zmprov cd footest.org). Then move all mx1.canmail.org accounts to that domain (zmprov ra account@mx1.canmail.org account@footest.org). Finally, delete the mx1.canmail.org domain (zmprov dd mx1.canmail.org).
This is the tricky part - deleting that domain won't delete the canmail.org entry from ldap, so you'll have to do it by hand (this is a bug). It should look something like this in ldap:
dn: dc=canmail,dc=org

dc: canmail

objectClass: dcObject

objectClass: organization

o: canmail domain
Once that's gone, you can create the canmail.org domain (zmprov cd canmail.org). Finally, move your accounts to the new domain (zmprov ra account@footest.org account@canmail.org).
Make sure you update all mx1.canmail.org references in ldap (eg, zimbraDefaultDomainName) and anything in the local config (eg, av_notify_user).
You will probably want to shut the system down, aside from ldap, before you do all this. (zmcontrol shutdown, ldap start) and restart when you're done (ldap stop, zmcontrol start).
17629anand
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

new domains

Post by 17629anand »

for the record, and for the benefit of people searching the forums at a later date, this is probably related to bug 2233 "can't create domain foo.com after creating sub.foo.com" and has been fixed in our mainline code - not sure if it was fixed in 3.0.M1 release.