Email filters for subject that include a hyphen

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
bspies

Email filters for subject that include a hyphen

Post by bspies »

I have been getting a lot of spam with subject lines that look like this "56- that message you sent" or "12- looking for someone" etc. That always have a number and hyphen. I tried to make a filter for "subject contains" "1-" and "2-" etc. but get an error that I did not include a subject, so I assume the hyphen is being treated like an operator or special character.

How would I escape the hyphen, so I can make a "Subject contains" filter that really looks for a hyphen?

Thank you,
Bruce
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Email filters for subject that include a hyphen

Post by phoenix »

One thing you should always include is your current ZCS version by posting the full output of the following command:

Code: Select all

zmcontrol -v
FWIW, I'm running the current ZCS 8.8.9 and I can enter a filter 'Subject contains' the following text: '56- some text' - there are no problems in entering the filter nor taking the required action.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
bspies

Post by bspies »

Hello - I must apologize. I tried this again after reading your reply and it is working.

I am just a user of zimbra, not an admin, so I cannot run that command to tell you what version this is.

since I am just a user I did not realize I was shooting myself in the foot. I clicked the + sign after each rule I was adding, so I did in fact have a blank rule. Bad habit I guess!

Bruce
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

I'm glad that it's working for you as well. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra