Recommended Desktop Antivirus to use?

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
azilber
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by azilber »

Hi All,
I would like to get some feedback from the community and Zimbra employees as well, as to the best antivirus to use with the Outlook Connector on the user's desktop.
For the record, I've had a terrible time with Panda Antivirus+Firewall 2007, so I would recommend people stay away from it. Avast Antivirus Pro has also been problematic. I'd like to know if either Kaspersky or BitDefender would work properly?
Thanks,

Alex
spot

Post by spot »

kaspersky antivirus workstation is the one we installed on all computers in our company. it does its job perfectly fine. hassle-free and no nags.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

I'm a big Avast! Fan.
bhickey
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bhickey »

We've used F-Prot and NOD32 without any problem.
azilber
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by azilber »

[quote user="jholder"]I'm a big Avast! Fan.[/QUOTE]
It works fine with the Outlook Connector?
I find that it blocks other protocols making it unusable for us. I think Avast tends to miss viruses that BitDefender would find. That said I like Avast personally as well.
I think to clarify my question, which Antivirus is also 'least intrusive'?
ClamAV actually seems to work rather nicely on the desktop as well (it's not Just for Zimbra :-) ).
azilber
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by azilber »

[quote user="spot"]kaspersky antivirus workstation is the one we installed on all computers in our company. it does its job perfectly fine. hassle-free and no nags.[/QUOTE]
I've used Kaspersky a few years ago and I've had problems with their Outlook plugin which is why I didn't even consider them now. They might have fixed that by now. They're really aces as far as support goes and are willing to open up their API to developers.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

If you're going to ask, then give a rebuttal to every opinion, why ask? :)
azilber
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by azilber »

[quote user="jholder"]If you're going to ask, then give a rebuttal to every opinion, why ask? :)[/QUOTE]

Just posting my experience with the products. Why do you mind?

Some of that experience isn't directly related to the ZCO connector, which is why I didn't mention it in my initial question, only when someone posts about a product I've had experience with before (not necessarily with the ZCO).
bersrker

Post by bersrker »

I'd like to give another vote to NOD32. I've been using it with the Outlook Connector for about 6 months now, and haven't had a single problem. It's got the most impressive scanner that I've come across yet, and has a pretty small footprint on the systems. If you need it, it's got the management features of Symantec's product, plus it works much better IMO.
Jerry

Re: Recommended Desktop Antivirus to use?

Post by Jerry »

I used AVG free for many years, and it was good except for the increasing nag popups. My desktop came with Bitdefender, and I've had no problems with it so far, which is more than I can say for Norton and Eset I've had on past machines. It also came with Malwarebytes, but the manufacturer recently withdrew its recommendation of Malwarebytes and recommended SuperAntiSpyware instead. I don't have enough experience with SuperAntiSpyware yet to say whether it's any better than Malwarebytes.