No longer able to select zimbra connector in latest Outlook 365

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
ilsa

No longer able to select zimbra connector in latest Outlook 365

Post by ilsa »

I've noticed an odd issue with the latest Outlook 365. I am no longer able to choose the Zimbra connector. Outlook now uses a completely new account creation window, and forces this windows to be used whether you open outlook the first time, or try to add an account through Mail in Control Panel and the add accounts option within Outlook.

This new dialog does not provide an option for "Other Accounts" like the old dialog did, which means I can no longer create accounts using the zimbra connector. I've tried installing the very latest connector (8.7.10) and that didn't help.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a work-around?
ilsa

Re: No longer able to select zimbra connector in latest Outlook 365

Post by ilsa »

John from XMission wrote:Zimbra linked this in a tweet earlier today regarding Outlook 2016 for Windows and the ZCO.
https://community.zimbra.com/collaborat ... /t/1140361
I am unable to load the page. Maybe to many people are reading the article? :)

I was able to solve the issue though. If I completely uninstall and reinstall office, then I am able to use the Mail item in Control Panel and it brings up the correct dialog window.
John from XMission
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.6 patch 6

Post by John from XMission »

Zimbra linked this in a tweet earlier today regarding Outlook 2016 for Windows and the ZCO.
https://community.zimbra.com/collaborat ... /t/1140361
- John
john@xmission.com
xmission.com/zimbra - hosting / licensing / infrastructure
Zimbra Gold Partner since 2008
ilsa

Post by ilsa »

Can you give the readers digest summary? The whole community server appears to be down.
dan3857

Post by dan3857 »

I have the same problem here as well.

In my testing, this started with Microsoft's release of Outlook 16.0.8431.2046. All versions previous to this release allowed you to select "Other Account" and choose the ZCO connector. Microsoft has been releasing feature updates to Office 2016 as well as security fixes each month. This is the exact reason why I hate continuous release software vs version release software. You have no control over changes like this that effect your business.

Even when trying to configure Outlook in Exchange mode, it doesn't work. That means if you have Outlook 16.0.8431.2046, you can only configure your Zimbra account as an IMAP account, unless Zimbra has a new ZCO or some other method.

My current workaround is to uninstall Office, then reinstall it. When you reinstall, it installs a previous version that still allows you the "Other Account" option. Configure your ZCO account right away, because when Office updates, you won't be able to create any Zimbra accounts. This process is time consuming, but it's my only option at this point until Zimbra comes up with something else.
patit
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0.GA.3924

Post by patit »

Problems confirmed also on OEM Home and Business click to run version of Office 2016 16.0.8431.2046
jeremywatco

Post by jeremywatco »

Same issue however uninstalling an reinstalling is no longer working for me as it seems installer is bringing in the newest version. Also existing users are starting to get local failure notices with syncing issues.
ilsa

Post by ilsa »

Just wanted to report that for me (as of yesterday), doing a full uninstall and reinstall (not just reinstall on top of the existing installation) at least allows me to perform the initial account set up. I haven't yet received any reports from users who have been directly affected by this. That being said, I've just sent an email to everyone warning them to disable Office Updates if they have them enabled.

Since others are reporting that even a brand new install breaks them, I'm going to try again and see if I can confirm. I've configured out Office 365 setup to use 6 month feature updates instead of 1 month.

I've talked to Microsoft support. On the surface, there seems little they can do since this appears to be an intentional change to the functionality of Outlook, but he'll let me know if he discovers anything different. So far the best he could do was point me to some otherwise hidden links for Office 2013 Business, and to a couple of Microsoft feedback portals for me to vent my spleen on.
ilsa

Post by ilsa »

Ugh. Confirmed. I did a full reinstall, and when I go through Control Panel -> Mail, while it still uses the old style dialog, that "Additional Server Types" section has been removed.

This is NOT good.
thomas.klaube
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15P33

Post by thomas.klaube »

Hi all,

this is really not good at all. I have opened a bugreport:

https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=108476

Please vote for this bug!

Does anybody know of any workaround? Our users will kill us, if we don't come up with a solution within very short time... I will also open a supportcase with Zimbra right now.

Regards
Thomas