Blackberry integration

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
brwatters
Advanced member
Advanced member

Blackberry integration

Post by brwatters »

Can someone post the URL to the BES software?

BRW
brwatters
Advanced member
Advanced member

Blackberry integration

Post by brwatters »

Products
Part NumberProduct Description:PRD-10459-054BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 4.1 for Microsoft Exchange

Does the above info then mean that Zimbra will look and feel like a MS Exchange server to the BES server? .. Since it already does to a MS media smart phone I wonder then why it does not already look like the same to a BES server? ..

BRW
gmsmith
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Blackberry integration

Post by gmsmith »

What might make sense is you wait until an official announcement is made detailing out the plans and requirements as opposed to jumping to conclusions.
We are all looking forward to Blackberry and Zimbra (a good solution), so patience young Skywalker, patience.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Blackberry integration

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="brwatters"]

Does the above info then mean that Zimbra will look and feel like a MS Exchange server to the BES server? .. Since it already does to a MS media smart phone I wonder then why it does not already look like the same to a BES server? .. [/QUOTE]
The SmartPhone and Windows Mobile support uses a different interface. You are correct though that you will only need the BES software. There will be no requirement to purchase Exchange.
brwatters
Advanced member
Advanced member

Blackberry integration

Post by brwatters »

Zimbra ,, Thanks for the update .. patience by the way is waiting for this integration since Sept. 05, We purchased Zimbra with the understanding that Blackberry Integration was forth coming two years ago .. today we still have no real word on what it is or when we can expect it ..

So please with all respect do not ask for more patience than that that has already been shown.

BRW
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Blackberry integration

Post by jholder »

[quote user="brwatters"]Zimbra ,, Thanks for the update .. patience by the way is waiting for this integration since Sept. 05, We purchased Zimbra with the understanding that Blackberry Integration was forth coming two years ago .. today we still have no real word on what it is or when we can expect it ..

So please with all respect do not ask for more patience than that that has already been shown.

BRW[/quote]

We do not ship a half finished product.
brwatters
Advanced member
Advanced member

Blackberry integration

Post by brwatters »

Thanks again for the reply .. However you really do not want to open this can of worms .. I still have copys of your early web site showing support for Blackberry .. And I might add not via any third party application .. I am happy to wait for this all to happen thus our continued support of Zimbra via renewals of our software, However a bit of communications and or updates over the past two years would really help.

BRW
135marcg

Blackberry integration

Post by 135marcg »

Hi,
Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious here, but I recently came to understand a little bit about how the whole RIM/BB/Exchange set-up works and I thought it might help others too.
I happened to be talking to a RIM integrator recently and he told me that in a corporate scenario when a new BB handset is set-up, a GUID is registered with RIM who then list the company's specific BES server as the only allowed originating server for that handset. I think the terminology is: "homing" the device. It means that RIM get to know about every device out there, plus the device will only communicate with the BES it's registered with. Apparently BES is also very strict about the Exchange message store from a security standpoint. Other features are that homed handsets can be controlled from within BES for updates/remote wipe/etc. and devices can be locked so that users can't install software on them...
The "RIM way" appears to provide excellent security (registered handsets only), a reliable and good user experience (validated handsets only), and device management (essential for corporates), not to mention plenty of $'s for RIM...
In my naivety I had always assumed that the Zimbra BB solution would involve getting the BB handset to sync natively with the Zimbra server (without the need for BES) using a reverse engineered version of RIM's sync protocol, rather like Zimbra have done with Active Sync. However I now realise that this would not only be a large task, likely requiring custom software on the device, but would defeat the whole reason for running a BB solution - in effect it would be a lengthy and costly way to do what we can do now with Active Sync + many current devices.
So it seems, if this is what has been done, that keeping BES in the mix and "simply" replacing exchange with Zimbra as the back-end store is a sound direction and will hopefully allow us to offer a complete BB solution. A solution which should really rock :-)
Can't wait to see it in action...
Cheers,
Marc
greenrenault
Advanced member
Advanced member

Blackberry integration

Post by greenrenault »

Just wondering if there was any more news / info. available on Zimbra + BES + Blackberry integration planned for ZCS 5 NE?
jrobb

Blackberry integration

Post by jrobb »

[quote user="greenrenault"]Just wondering if there was any more news / info. available on Zimbra + BES + Blackberry integration planned for ZCS 5 NE?[/QUOTE]
No news yet but the Beta is coming very soon. You should contact your sales lead to get on the Beta list.