Confused in Linux Land

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
jkoyle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Confused in Linux Land

Post by jkoyle »

Having migrated from a MS Exchange/BES environment to Zimbra I can say that the current (third party) available BB integration is not where it needs to be. While it does work, the end user experience mentioned above is indeed poor in comparison. The majority of my users who I migrated have quit using it all together.
BES is just that. It's Rimm's software into their cloud. It runs on windows - that's not Zimbra's fault. If you don't like that, don't buy Blackberries. Any other method of using a third party client to talk on a BB will kill the battery life and lead to a much poorer user experience.
Just my $.02, and while I hate dealing with MS products just as much as the next linux user, I can't wait to get this up and running later today so I can dump the current solution.
John
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Confused in Linux Land

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="jkoyle"]Having migrated from a MS Exchange/BES environment to Zimbra I can say that the current (third party) available BB integration is not where it needs to be. While it does work, the end user experience mentioned above is indeed poor in comparison. The majority of my users who I migrated have quit using it all together.
BES is just that. It's Rimm's software into their cloud. It runs on windows - that's not Zimbra's fault. If you don't like that, don't buy Blackberries. Any other method of using a third party client to talk on a BB will kill the battery life and lead to a much poorer user experience.
Just my $.02, and while I hate dealing with MS products just as much as the next linux user, I can't wait to get this up and running later today so I can dump the current solution.
John[/QUOTE]
hi jkoyle,
i'm very surprised to hear that your experience with ZCB (the connector for BES) has been so bad. we are making strides improving the product every day but i'm very interested in the particular problems that you and your users are happening. i'm hoping that there are some environment/configuration modifications that can be made to better the experience.
please feel free to post issues to the forums, private message me directly, open up a ticket with support or file bugs in bugzilla.
i'm very interested in your particular BES box specs. you can find them with msinfo. also, if you could let me know how many users you tried to provision and the size of mailboxes for these users.
we want your BES with ZCB setup to be successful as much or more than you do so this feedback is very important so that we can turn around and address the issues that you are having as soon as we can.
thanks

--Tony
jkoyle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Confused in Linux Land

Post by jkoyle »

You mis-understand. I can't wait to setup ZCB. My experience with the (previously) only 3rd party BB integrator has not been pleasant.
Setting up ZCB right now - the connector I have is from the 9th though - is there a newer connector available for download before I install?
Thanks,

John
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Confused in Linux Land

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="jkoyle"]You mis-understand. I can't wait to setup ZCB. My experience with the (previously) only 3rd party BB integrator has not been pleasant.
Setting up ZCB right now - the connector I have is from the 9th though - is there a newer connector available for download before I install?
Thanks,

John[/QUOTE]
oops...misread the original post. please let me know if you have an issues.

i got about 5 emails telling me to re-read the post because you were talking about another product...not ZCB :)
klinet

Confused in Linux Land

Post by klinet »

The hammer and nail is a great analogy and helps us try and see the bigger picture, in that picture though you will find some us the are pure Linux and OS X users and our data centers are built around that. There is no need for us to learn an OS (Windows) that is foreign to us for little projects like Blackberry integration. John's view seems to be the best solution and I add the Winnetka Public Schools to those that request RIM to make a Linux version of BES to support Zimbra. :)