ZCB setup - errors in the event log

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
jkoyle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jkoyle »

After installing (then re-installing) BES Professional Express and ZCB last night I now have a BB 8700 functioning. As mentioned in another post, it's not a simple install procedure.
The first time I installed then activated a device it sat on the waiting for services screen. I then removed the user and tried to re-add them, but BES wouldn't allow that as I was over the single user allotment in the free version (I haven't purchased any licenses from them yet).
I believe the initial problem I had was because I'm using an external GAL and the first email address listed in the GAL is firstname.lastname@domain.com. Zimbra accounts are setup with the account id of firstinitialLastname@domain.com.
So, I now have ZCB installed and it's syncing with the BB and looking good except for several warnings/errors in Windows Server Application event log. I see the following error:
CalICSSynchronizer::Initialize - OpenProperty failed: (0x80004002)
and the following warnings:

CalICSAgent::Start Could not Initialize Synchronizer for user@domain.com: (0x80004002)
{user@domain.com} DoICS() failed: ERR_FAIL
{user@domain.com} MsgMemStateDb::GetRefIdByEntryId(uc*,l) - EntryId is 0
{user@domain.com} MsgMemStateDb::AddMessageState - EntryId is invalid
Any idea what is causing those and how to clean them up?
Thanks,

John
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="jkoyle"]After installing (then re-installing) BES Professional Express and ZCB last night I now have a BB 8700 functioning. As mentioned in another post, it's not a simple install procedure.
The first time I installed then activated a device it sat on the waiting for services screen. I then removed the user and tried to re-add them, but BES wouldn't allow that as I was over the single user allotment in the free version (I haven't purchased any licenses from them yet).
I believe the initial problem I had was because I'm using an external GAL and the first email address listed in the GAL is firstname.lastname@domain.com. Zimbra accounts are setup with the account id of firstinitialLastname@domain.com.
So, I now have ZCB installed and it's syncing with the BB and looking good except for several warnings/errors in Windows Server Application event log. I see the following error:
CalICSSynchronizer::Initialize - OpenProperty failed: (0x80004002)
and the following warnings:

CalICSAgent::Start Could not Initialize Synchronizer for user@domain.com: (0x80004002)
{user@domain.com} DoICS() failed: ERR_FAIL
{user@domain.com} MsgMemStateDb::GetRefIdByEntryId(uc*,l) - EntryId is 0
{user@domain.com} MsgMemStateDb::AddMessageState - EntryId is invalid
Any idea what is causing those and how to clean them up?
Thanks,

John[/QUOTE]

Hi John,
The first problem that you mention about the activation just sitting there is a problem that we see from time to time. RIM performs OTA activation via email. When you were waiting for the device to activate did you see a "special" message in that mailbox that was obviously generated by RIM? If you didn't see it...this was a latency issue with the cloud. We have seen this issue before. Also, BES needs to pick up that message and respond to it and sometimes this is not done in a timely fashion. Its probably due to many calendar events that it is trying to process while the activation request has been put it. This issue is outlined in the RIM knowledge base at the link below:
BlackBerry Search Results
The license issue that you saw was because, when you deleted the user, you need to wait for the BES Manager to purge it. You can force the purge in the "Users Pending Delete" tab of the manager. Once that user is purged, you can reprovision them. Otherwise, you have to wait for the Manager to eventually purge them.
Regarding the error messages. They are not fatal error messages and we are aware of them.
I was wondering what your plan was for this BES. How many users do you plan to provision (once you buy the licenses) and how quickly do you plan to ramp this up?
Thanks so much for your feedback!

--Tony
jkoyle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jkoyle »

Prior to Zimbra we had a portion of our users on a hosted Exchange environment for BES support (~ 30 users with BB).
Since we've pulled things completely in house the number of BB has gone down quite a bit and several have switched to WM devices, others are using Symbian devices with sync as well (We're primarily based in EMEA).
As you're aware though, nothing comes close to the functionality that Rim has with BES. So, while I probably only have around 10 users currently using BB - most just using IMAP, I suspect that number will climb back again once word gets out.
I'll continue to test it the remainder of this week and add a few other team members next week. If that goes well, we'll open it to the users of within the company as a beta.
So far though I'm loving it. It's been >12 hours now and my battery is still at 90% full!
Thanks again,

John
knabe
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by knabe »

I am getting the message through that you are referring to from the BES, and I can see it disappear from my inbox as it appears it should, but my device activation never completes. I tried connecting it to the server via usb and I was able to provision it there just fine, but no OTA updates would sync either way. Any thoughts on where my issue could be?
jkoyle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jkoyle »

Go into Services on the server and make sure all the Blackberry services are running. Not all services are starting on boot for me.
Specifically make sure that the Blackberry Policy service is running.
John
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

We had one case where the customer did not have the correct data plan from the wireless operator. Here in the US you need to have BES service enabled on the phone's data plan. Do you?
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="knabe"]I am getting the message through that you are referring to from the BES, and I can see it disappear from my inbox as it appears it should, but my device activation never completes. I tried connecting it to the server via usb and I was able to provision it there just fine, but no OTA updates would sync either way. Any thoughts on where my issue could be?[/QUOTE]
we don't support cradle activation so i don't really know the state of your device now that you have performed a cradle sync.
i would wipe the device, delete and re-add the user from the manager, turn on zcb logging (with http and verbose logging enabled) and then zip up and send us the agent logs along with the zcb logs. you can do this by opening a tech support incident or private messaging me directly.
did you set an activation password for the user? sam's comments about checking your services with your carrier is also a very good thing to do.
--tony
bbarnett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bbarnett »

[quote user="jkoyle"]Go into Services on the server and make sure all the Blackberry services are running. Not all services are starting on boot for me.
Specifically make sure that the Blackberry Policy service is running.
John[/QUOTE]
I am in the same situation. Not all services start on boot, and there are naturally errors in the event log on this. These errors state that it is the push service failing.
Since this box needs to reboot frequently (it's a MS box, after all.. and security updates seem to have every 2 seconds), it means that my service is often down.
Any ideas?
I was thinking of setting up a cron (sorry, scheduled task) that waits 5 minutes and then restarts BES somehow, after boot. That would probably fix it, but it's a bit annoying.
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="bbarnett"]I am in the same situation. Not all services start on boot, and there are naturally errors in the event log on this. These errors state that it is the push service failing.
Since this box needs to reboot frequently (it's a MS box, after all.. and security updates seem to have every 2 seconds), it means that my service is often down.
Any ideas?
I was thinking of setting up a cron (sorry, scheduled task) that waits 5 minutes and then restarts BES somehow, after boot. That would probably fix it, but it's a bit annoying.[/QUOTE]
the only service that i have seen fail on boot is the dispatcher and this is a weird situation where the box running BES doesn't actually have access to the mail server until i start an SSH tunnel to it. weird setup but it is my BES development environment so that is OK.
can you send support some BES and ZCB generated logs so we can figure out what is going on?
thanks

--tony
bbarnett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bbarnett »

[quote user="10339alee"]the only service that i have seen fail on boot is the dispatcher and this is a weird situation where the box running BES doesn't actually have access to the mail server until i start an SSH tunnel to it. weird setup but it is my BES development environment so that is OK.
can you send support some BES and ZCB generated logs so we can figure out what is going on?
thanks

--tony[/QUOTE]
Ok, I've figured out what's up. This is an older server, and for some reason BES is starting too quick on boot. The database server is accepting connections when the BES tries, but the BES database itself is not ready when the BES tries to log in.
EG:
BlackBerry Professional Software database-dependent services do not start when using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 on the same computer
So, I'll have to use their suggestion, since they have no workaround (bleck.. how about trying again in 10 seconds, after bootup? It isn't that difficult, RIM!)