[SOLVED] BES Express 5.0.2 Installer crashing on W2k8 R2 64Bit

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
jedler

Post by jedler »

Hello all,
I am trying to install BES Express 5.0.2 on an Windows 2008 R2 Server Standart 64Bit. What I have done so far:

Installed a fresh W2k8 R2 Server with all Updates

Installed Outlook 2007 with all Updates

Installed the Connector following the AdminGuide > http://files2.zimbra.com/website/docs/Z ... nGuide.pdf

Now, when trying to install the BES Express 5.0.2, the installation constantly crashens, when I try to get past the MAPI-Preferences (see attachement). When I click on "Next", the installation crashes.
Any hints?
Best regards,
Jens
error.png
sin_x

Post by sin_x »

I had the same problem and it seems it was to do with Active Directory.

I resolved it by doing a dcpromo on the server.
The next issue I had after getting past that step was right at the end of the installation where the installer crashed on the 2nd last page (I think). Installer was trying to use the BESMgmt database that was created before doing a dcpromo. If this happens to you, just rename the database (on the screen before your attached screenshot) to something else. I made it BESMgmt2, and everything worked after that.
Good luck.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

I'm having the same issue (installer hangs) on the same screen.
I've made the dcpromo, launched the setup as the correct user (besadmin in the domain) but it hangs when I click on "Next" on the "MAPI settings" page.
Is there anything special to put in the fields ("Microsoft Exchange Server" and "Mailbox")?
sin_x

Post by sin_x »

[quote user="8141Klug"]I'm having the same issue (installer hangs) on the same screen.
I've made the dcpromo, launched the setup as the correct user (besadmin in the domain) but it hangs when I click on "Next" on the "MAPI settings" page.
Is there anything special to put in the fields ("Microsoft Exchange Server" and "Mailbox")?[/QUOTE]
Yeah,

I had that as well. I had to un-install BESx, reboot and then restart the installation.
sin_x

Post by sin_x »

[quote user="8141Klug"]I'm having the same issue (installer hangs) on the same screen.
Is there anything special to put in the fields ("Microsoft Exchange Server" and "Mailbox")?[/QUOTE]
Oh, and on the MAPI settings page, I just used my server's fqdn, and besadmin as the username.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Klug »

ZCS server FQDN or BES server FQDN?

With or without ":7071" at the end?
I've tried all I could think of (as well as "localhost") but nothing "works".
The "Check Name" button always answers "The setup application could not contact the Microsoft Exchange Server to check the name of the mailbox".

And bypassing the test (clicking on "Next") hangs the application (with no error message, obviously).
sin_x

Post by sin_x »

[quote user="8141Klug"]ZCS server FQDN or BES server FQDN?

I've tried all I could think of (as well as "localhost") but the setup hangs each time (with no error, obviously).[/QUOTE]
ZCS fqdn, without :7071.

Did you try uninstalling blackberry enterprise and re-doing the installation?
sin_x

Post by sin_x »

[quote user="8141Klug"]ZCS server FQDN or BES server FQDN?

I've tried all I could think of (as well as "localhost") but nothing "works".
The "Check Name" button always answers "The setup application could not contact the Microsoft Exchange Server to check the name of the mailbox".

And bypassing the test (clicking on "Next") hangs the application (with no error message, obviously).[/QUOTE]
I forgot to mention, after I did a dcpromo, I re-ran the install as a different domain user. I got the hanging and crashing because the mail profiles were created as administrator, and not the new user.
Make sure you re-create the BlackBerryServer and BlackBerryServer_MailStoreProfile mail profiles if your are running as a different user.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Klug »

Gosh, you're right !
I've removed and relaunched the BES setup but forgot the mail profiles...

I'm trying this right now.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Klug »

That was it!
Thanks a lot 8)