iSync calendar question

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
jjprusk

iSync calendar question

Post by jjprusk »

I noticed that it states in the documentation for the isync connector that iCal calendars are not synced with calendars subscribed to from the web client. Is this a restriction that will be removed in the future? In our case, we have several users with iCal on Mac clients as well as thin client users (which will rapidly grow) that access the calendars via a web interface (then also throw in mobile users with Treo's and WM). What I'm hoping to get to is a consistent calendar view where calendars can be viewed / updated from all of these devices. Any thoughts on this?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

iSync calendar question

Post by 14319KevinH »

This means that if you have a mac you should just use iCal to fetch web hosted ics files. iCal will do a better job updating and refreshing those relatively static calendars than trying to sync them through Zimbra. iSync will sync all your Zimbra calendars so those normal calendars will show up in Treo's, iSync, Outlook, etc.
jjprusk

iSync calendar question

Post by jjprusk »

OK - I'm not talking about iCal access to hosted .ics files using publish/subscribe so let's take them out of the picture. So then I can create a calendar, sync with both iCal (using the iSync connector) and Zimbra web client , and the calendar is consistent across both (obviously after a sync)? Do the calendars have to be created via the web interface or can I create the calendar in iCal, add to the sync connector, and then subscribe with the web interface?
gmsmith
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

iSync calendar question

Post by gmsmith »

[quote user="jjprusk"]OK - I'm not talking about iCal access to hosted .ics files using publish/subscribe so let's take them out of the picture. So then I can create a calendar, sync with both iCal (using the iSync connector) and Zimbra web client , and the calendar is consistent across both (obviously after a sync)? Do the calendars have to be created via the web interface or can I create the calendar in iCal, add to the sync connector, and then subscribe with the web interface?[/QUOTE]
Basically you can create the calendar in either Zimbra or iCal and have it available in both places using the iSync Zimbra tool...simply fantastic if you ask me :)
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

iSync calendar question

Post by 14319KevinH »

You can try it, but I'm pretty sure you need to create them in the web client first.
gmsmith
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

iSync calendar question

Post by gmsmith »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]You can try it, but I'm pretty sure you need to create them in the web client first.[/QUOTE]
If you create a calendar in iCal, you can certainly sync it up to Zimbra, edit and sync it back down...maybe I am misreading his intent.
jjprusk

iSync calendar question

Post by jjprusk »

I was just trying to get clarification on a statement made in the iSync connector guide "Note: Calendars you subscribe to on both Zimbra Web Client and in iCal are not included when the calendars are synchronized". I agree that syncing between the web client, iCal, and pda's a marvelous!