Zimbra 8.0.7 OSE and Thunderbird/Lightning integration

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
Fabio S. Schmidt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Fabio S. Schmidt »

Hi,

A customer of ours has Zimbra 8.0.7 OSE deployed and is also using Thunderbird with the Lightning extension to access the Calendars. When some user delete an event using the Thunderbird it is erased from the Calendar only until the next synchronization, then it is displayed again.

Is the Zimbra 8.0 Calendar compatible with the Thunderbird and Lightning extension?
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

It should work.  It may be worth switching on tracing on the server to make sure Lightning is actually communicating properly there:
addAccountLogger <username> zimbra.dav TRACE
Fabio S. Schmidt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Hi Gren,

Thanks for the answer. I have installed Zimbra 8.0.9 to make some tests and got the same behaviour. When I try to delete an event using Thunderbird it tries to modify the calendar but doesn't move the deleted item to the trash as Zimbra does.

I am creating the calendar using "iCalendar (ics)" on thunderbird, if I try to create using "caldav" it doesn't even connect.
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

Ah. ics is a read only mechanism, so you can't make updates that way. You need to use CalDAV.

Thunderbird with Lightning actually configure for CalDAV in a slightly unusual way in that you have to configure each calendar individually instead of just specifying the account. You will need to specify a URL like:
https://mail.example.com/dav/me@example.com/Calendar
The last part of the URL is the name of your calendar.

Hope that helps.
Fabio S. Schmidt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Hi Gren,

Thank you very much ! I just changed the URL as you suggested and it worked !