Shared Contacts, CardDAV & Mobile Sync

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
rport

Shared Contacts, CardDAV & Mobile Sync

Post by rport »

Good day to all you lovely Zimbra admins,

I have created a Zimbra mailbox for the express purpose of sharing contacts with all users in the company. Let's say it's called "sharedcontacts@domain.com". Within the mailbox are several contact lists:
/Legal
/Insurance
/Blah
/Etc

I have shared these lists with myself, rp0rt@domain.com and have accepted the share invitation. In my Zimbra web client, under the 'Contacts' tab, I can see the shares.

I would now like to sync these contact lists with my mobile phone. I have configured a CardDAV account accordingly for my mailbox, the aforementioned rp0rt@domain.com. My CardDAV application connects to my account, but only gives me the option to select my mailbox contacts (i.e. Contacts and 'Emailed Contacts'). There is no 'discovery' of the shared contact lists of the 'sharedcontacts@domain.com' mailbox.

This behaviour is the same whether using iPhone or Android.

I am using Release 8.7.11.GA.1854.UBUNTU14.64 UBUNTU14_64 NETWORK edition.

I can't find much useful information about troubleshooting this issue through the Zimbra logs - though I am able to track mobile Zimbra syncs in /opt/zimbra/sync.log

I can sync the shared contacts to my mobile device if I setup a separate CardDAV account using the mailbox "sharedcontacts@domain.com" but I shouldn't have to do that...should I? (I don't want to do that for my users).

All hints/ tips/ solutions gratefully received.

Many thanks,

rp0rt
rport

Re: Shared Contacts, CardDAV & Mobile Sync

Post by rport »

And in case you were wondering:

$zmprov gc default zimbraMobileShareContactEnabled
# name default
zimbraMobileShareContactEnabled: TRUE

$zmprov ga sharedcontacts@domain.com zimbraMobileShareContactEnabled
#name sharecontacts@domain.com
zimbraMobileShareContactEnabled: TRUE

I have also restarted all Zimbra services since enabling this setting. And still no joy. :roll:
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

One obstacle in the way is documented in bug https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=86487 - Zimbra doesn't advertise Remote addressbooks correctly. You may want to add your vote for that to be fixed.
I suspect the main reason it hasn't been fixed yet is more a case of needing comprehensive testing rather than the difficulty of the actual fix.
Depending on your CardDAV client that may not be enough - some only allow one addressbook. However, if I remember correctly, iPhone is OK and I'm sure there must be at least one Android CardDAV provider that supports multiple addressbooks.
Which CardDAV provider do you use with Android by the way?
rport

Post by rport »

Many thanks for your input, Gren.

I have added my vote accordingly.

None of the iPhones in the company are able to see remote address books; they can all see local address books though.

For Android, I'm using "CardDAV-Sync free" - I have setup multiple local address books in my Zimbra mailbox and they are all visible and sync-able via this app...just not remote address books..

I've created ticket #00633527 with Zimbra support for this problem and of course will update if I get any assistance.
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

Thanks for the info - I know the developer of "CardDAV-Sync free". Good stuff.
rport

Post by rport »

Update:

This is a known issue across iPhone and CardDAV clients.

There are two bugs: the one mentioned by Gren above and this: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=101518

It would appear that these bugs are 2-3 years old...... :x surely there must be more than 4 Zimbra customers in the world who would like to sync shared contacts onto their mobile phones? How niche is this feature??

Anyway, because the case has transitioned into a bug and the issue is now waiting on Product Management and Development to resolve the issue in a future release, the support team are unable to assist further.

Only pressure on Product Management and Development can accelerate a fix.

Or maybe Starship Troopers...they were pretty 'good' with bugs.... 8-)
Drozdovich

Post by Drozdovich »

Hello community.
It's will be perfect to connect multiples folder. But for me, enough to sync one folder by default.
Can i setup to add automatically new contacts to default folder of Gal account?
Thanks.
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

Drozdovich

Post by Drozdovich »

Gren Elliot wrote:Note that a fix for https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=101518 and https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=86487 is available in Zimbra 8.8.6

Zimbra 8.8.8, still does't work.

Defaults contacts i see without problem, but shared contact did't appears.
apeironian

Post by apeironian »

Greetings!

Can any of you fine people comment on whether this is now fixed?

I haven't been able to get it working and I'd like to know if the reason is my bad config or a problem with the software.

Thanks!