Yahoo Small Business SMTP Server

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
William9

Post by William9 »

I can't send email using Zimbra/Yahoo Desktop and my Yahoo! Business mail account. The server name that works in other clients is smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com, but this doesn't work for the desired IMAP configuration with Zimbra Destop. Anyone know the setting including port number and SSL/authentication settings? The predefined Yahoo set up doesn't send mail either using my Yahoo! Small Business address.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

in beta3 for ymail we don't use smtp at all. are you seeing problems with sending messages? what exactly doesn't work?
William9

Post by William9 »

Do you mean that the pre-set up accounts for Yahoo mail don't show SMTP settings? Well, that account set up won't send messages for Yahoo! Small business mail. It will receive messages, but not send. I tried to set up manually as an IMAP account, but that didn't send messages either.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

we are not aware of that. if it doesn't send small business mail then it's a bug. could you give us some details? you can also enable debug trace so we can see what went wrong.
in general it's not a good idea to use the generic setup page for any yahoo mail account.
William9

Post by William9 »

When you refer to the "generic setup page" for a Yahoo account are you referring to the detailed manual setup where you must specify the server addresses, correct?

I've tried it several times. When I set up a a Yahoo Small Business Mail account (the account type with a sending server name like smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com) using the Zimbra pre-set Yahoo account set up (the one where email server addresses are not shown) I can read and synchronize my mailboxes -- just like an IMAP account should do -- except that sent mail goes to the Outbox and sits there, never actually being sent over the Internet although a Zimbra message appears stating message sent.

I'll turn on the debug trace and let you know.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

debug trace will help. the trace goes into zdesktop.out under /log.
5218dac
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 5218dac »

Hi William,
Could you try sending a message again with your small business account? We reported this to the Yahoo mail team and they are wondering if this was due to some sort of transient failure in their server.
Thanks,

David
William9

Post by William9 »

No, it's not that. I tried to send many times over 2 days including just now. The messages sit in the Outbox and aren't sent (I get that green message box stating that the message was sent -- but definitely was not sent). I've tried the Zimbra Desktop canned account setup for Yahoo! (I want to set up my Yahoo Small Business Mail) and I've used the manual account set up and entered "smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com" as the sending server name and tried a couple of different ports. Neither works. When I set up an account for my Yahoo! Mail Plus account, that works fine using the canned setup.
William9

Post by William9 »

I also want to add that it's not my PC or ISP. I cannot send from two different computers and two different locations and ISP's.
jbww

Post by jbww »

I am having the same problem with a Yahoo Small Business account.
I can send and receive from a gmail account ok.
But I can not send mail from my Yahoo Small Business account (uses my own domain name as opposed to XXX@yahoo.com). It seems to receive mail ok, but replies stay in the outbox. Despite the "message sent" prompt.
Any ideas?