Couldn't load XPCOM.

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
kevinpaz

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by kevinpaz »

After a linux install attempting to run results in this error when launching from shell:
Couldn't load XPCOM.

Here's the log entries:
[xx@sparky log]$ cat zdesktop.err

Zimbra server process is running as uid=500 euid=500 gid=500 egid=500

[xx@sparky log]$ cat zdesktop.out

0 INFO [main] log - Logging to org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerAdapter(org.mortbay.log) via org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog

1170 INFO [main] log - jetty-6.1.5

1903 INFO [main] log - No Transaction manager found - if your webapp requires one, please configure one.

Any ideas? This is a fedora 9 x86_64 install.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by jjzhuang »

we don't officially support 64bit linux yet. however that said some users have found workarounds to make it run.
kevinpaz

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by kevinpaz »

Any chance someone can post the work-arounds? googling for almost an hour led me pretty much nowhere....
Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by Russianspi »

I know that it is a few months late, but I'm on the 64 bit Alpha 1 of Jaunty Jackalope (Ubuntu 9.04), and I found a solution to the problem. I haven't tried yet to get prism working, but I followed the instructions here and I have the server portion (the important part) working. Once you have performed the change described there, just go to your Zimbra Desktop directory and do ./zdesktop start Then you just need to go to http://localhost:7633/zimbra/desktop/login.jsp with your browser and it should work.
Update: Got prism working. That was the easiest part of the whole deal. I just did a sudo aptitude install prism and then changed my desktop shortcut to use the version of prism that I just installed (change everything in the first set of "quotes" (ending in prism") to "prism" (without the quotes) and you should be all set.
Update: OK, just kidding about the prism part. It's harder than I thought. I think I could figure it out, but I don't want to waste all day on it. The first part still works...
McMac

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by McMac »

You write

[QUOTE]I have the server portion (the important part) working[/QUOTE]
Me, trying to install get stuck here:
[QUOTE]

Checking for prerequisites...

FOUND: NPTL

FOUND: sudo-1.6.9p17-1ubuntu3

FOUND: libidn11-1.10-3

FOUND: fetchmail-6.3.9~rc2-4ubuntu1

MISSING: libgmp3

FOUND: libxml2-2.6.32.dfsg-5ubuntu3

FOUND: libstdc++6-4.3.3-5ubuntu1

FOUND: openssl-0.9.8g-15ubuntu1

MISSING: libltdl3

Checking for suggested prerequisites...
###ERROR###
One or more prerequisite packages are missing.

Please install them before running this installer.
Installation cancelled.[/QUOTE]
What was your fix/workaround to this?
Thx.
4313btriem

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by 4313btriem »

When I got that error I installed gtk2.i586 and then Christmas came early.
joel.franco

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by joel.franco »

[quote user="Russianspi"]I know that it is a few months late, but I'm on the 64 bit Alpha 1 of Jaunty Jackalope (Ubuntu 9.04), and I found a solution to the problem. I haven't tried yet to get prism working, but I followed the instructions here and I have the server portion (the important part) working. Once you have performed the change described there, just go to your Zimbra Desktop directory and do ./zdesktop start Then you just need to go to http://localhost:7633/zimbra/desktop/login.jsp with your browser and it should work.
Update: Got prism working. That was the easiest part of the whole deal. I just did a sudo aptitude install prism and then changed my desktop shortcut to use the version of prism that I just installed (change everything in the first set of "quotes" (ending in prism") to "prism" (without the quotes) and you should be all set.
Update: OK, just kidding about the prism part. It's harder than I thought. I think I could figure it out, but I don't want to waste all day on it. The first part still works...[/QUOTE]
Hi,
I've updated my Debian 64 yesterday to the testing version, and since then my ZCS do not work anymore: i just click the desktop icon and it simply do not run. Investigating the problem, i found that when the zdesktop/linux/prism/zdclient is run, it returns: Couldn't load XPCOM.
I don't know which package that my last upgrade changed that my ZCS do not work anymore, and i can't back again.
Can someone suggest any procedure to it work again?
The "server" portion of code works, because i run zdestop start and i see the 7633 port open and network traffic, but i can't connect with an common browser, because it fails with invalid authentication or something like that.
cato_maior

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by cato_maior »

In case it's still of interest to a poor soul :
For Debian testing (squeeze) on amd64, I installed nearly all of the ia32-libs-* packages. When I got the XPCOM error, I installed the last one that I was still lacking: ia32-libs-gtk. Et voilà... :-)
I did not install any prism package.
tuanta

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by tuanta »

The main reason, I think, is: there are some necessary libraries missing.
I fixed this issue, so simple: install the xulrunner 32bit package and its dependencies.
On my Fedora 13 64bit laptop: yum install xulrunner.i686
nine6

Couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by nine6 »

[quote user="tuanta"]The main reason, I think, is: there are some necessary libraries missing.
[/QUOTE]
you are right. the problem is in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable in which misses the path to /usr/lib. Add this path to the variable and everything should work.
I have found the solution here Solution to error "Couldn't load XPCOM" (SOLVED)