Zimbra makes it impossible to use it's products

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
tolmarc

Post by tolmarc »

[quote user="mmorse"]I know some projects like to consistently release on the same day of the month all the time, our portal is simply a little more fluid. Whether it's one more known issue we're trying to nail down in QA and Engineering, or a feature request we'd like to fit in; rest assured the teams have good reasons - with your benefit in mind.
Now will everyone agree that X is worth delaying release for? Of course not, you all have different needs - we try to strike a balance. If the date on PMweb was bumped back only a week, then if we had to do it again there'd be complaints as well, better just to say two weeks out and deliver early :cool:[/QUOTE]
You've completely missed my point. I not talking about the lack to stand in the deadlines the developers set for themselves. If they don't stand in deadlines something is wrong with setting the deadlines in the first place. but again that's not the issue.
I'm talking about waiting for a new release, checking the website on the designated date, and nada. Only a day after someone bothers to update the community portal with the new information.

"good reasons"? I'll be glad to hear about them and might even help. If the reasons are going to delay the final version, I might to know about it in advance, and not in the day of the scheduled release. and again, I'm just a Zimbra desktop user, but it really make you think on how the company is treating the paying ZCS customers.
The word open in an open project is not just for the code lines.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

tolmarc,
My name is JJ Zhuang and I'm the project lead of Zimbra Desktop. First of all, thank you for being a ZD user. We value any feedback you can provide, including how transparent the project development should be. You have some very good points.
Please allow me to first explain the delay. As you may know that ZD can almost be considered a "special build" of ZCS. For maximum stability we try to align each ZD beta release with each 6.0.x ZCS release. For example, we aligned beta1 with ZCS 6.0.5 release. For beta2 we are aligning with ZCS 6.0.6 release. This way we can share a lot of QA work between the two products as the releases can come from the same code branch. However, this also means that the published ZD release dates are somewhat an estimate. We update the ZD release dates when a 6.0.x release date is set. This arrangement is largely due to the unique relationship between the two products.
That said, we should definitely do a better job at keeping users in the loop. Going forward we'll update the release dates more timely. Once again, thank you for your feedback!
Sincerely,
JJ
tolmarc

Post by tolmarc »

[quote user="jjzhuang"]tolmarc,
My name is JJ Zhuang and I'm the project lead of Zimbra Desktop. First of all, thank you for being a ZD user. We value any feedback you can provide, including how transparent the project development should be. You have some very good points.
Please allow me to first explain the delay. As you may know that ZD can almost be considered a "special build" of ZCS. For maximum stability we try to align each ZD beta release with each 6.0.x ZCS release. For example, we aligned beta1 with ZCS 6.0.5 release. For beta2 we are aligning with ZCS 6.0.6 release. This way we can share a lot of QA work between the two products as the releases can come from the same code branch. However, this also means that the published ZD release dates are somewhat an estimate. We update the ZD release dates when a 6.0.x release date is set. This arrangement is largely due to the unique relationship between the two products.
That said, we should definitely do a better job at keeping users in the loop. Going forward we'll update the release dates more timely. Once again, thank you for your feedback!
Sincerely,
JJ[/QUOTE]
JJ, I highly appreciate the time you took to respond. this simple explanation could have solved a lot of frustration in the last 48 hours for many users. Everyone here appreciate the hard work the developers do and just want to use this great product. Just give us a heads up on what going on and will be satisfied with that.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

[quote user="tolmarc"]JJ, I highly appreciate the time you took to respond. this simple explanation could have solved a lot of frustration in the last 48 hours for many users. Everyone here appreciate the hard work the developers do and just want to use this great product. Just give us a heads up on what going on and will be satisfied with that.[/QUOTE]
I hear you. Thanks again!
13442ezu
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 13442ezu »

[quote user="rdronov"]Hi all,
I think we all need some patience. There is not a tragedy to match two releases in one day - ZCS 6.0.6 and ZD 2.0 beta2. Moreover, next release of ZD 2 considering to be in beta quality. So, there are still many things to improve.
Best wishes,

Roman[/QUOTE]
Zimbra desktop is a fine product. I ran into several major issues after I installed it more than a year and half ago. However, they were eventually resolved. Now, I will like to try out Beta 2. I read somewhere that it will be released on 22-Mar-2010 but I do not see any signs of it nor any announcement on its delay. It is better not to announce a product schedule if there are high chances of not adhering to it. At least, if it is announced, announce the revised schedule too if it is delayed.
I tried to install Beta 1 on my Windows 7 Home Premium and it is not working. Everytime, same message. Access to Zimbra desktop server is not available. If issue persists after reinstallation, please check logs and write on forum. The message neither mentions the location where to check the logs nor is anyone on the forum responded to same.
I am finally planning to install the ZD 1.0 again on this machine too if I do not succeed in getting the Beta 2 issue resolved soon.
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

[QUOTE]Zimbra desktop is a fine product. I ran into several major issues after I installed it more than a year and half ago. However, they were eventually resolved. Now, I will like to try out Beta 2. I read somewhere that it will be released on 22-Mar-2010 but I do not see any signs of it nor any announcement on its delay. It is better not to announce a product schedule if there are high chances of not adhering to it. At least, if it is announced, announce the revised schedule too if it is delayed.[/QUOTE]

You can follow the release schedule more closely at pm.zimbra.com. The release date for 2.0 Beta 2 has "slipped" to 3/29 now. As previously mentioned in this thread, Zimbra is trying to keep the Desktop releases in line with the ZCS releases (not sure I really understand this for a beta release myself) and apparently something has pushed back the release of 6.0.6 another week.
[QUOTE]I tried to install Beta 1 on my Windows 7 Home Premium and it is not working. Everytime, same message. Access to Zimbra desktop server is not available. If issue persists after reinstallation, please check logs and write on forum. The message neither mentions the location where to check the logs nor is anyone on the forum responded to same.[/QUOTE]

I have Beta 1 working on my Windows 7 laptop, so I can tell that it does work. Check "C:users\AppDataLocalimbraimbra Desktoplog" for log info.
tolmarc

Post by tolmarc »

[quote user="jjzhuang"]I hear you. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

And yet beta 2 was slipped again, without any mention in the forums. Have you noticed that no users even asked about it? that's what happens when a company doesn't keep it's users informed. They just go away.
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

[quote user="tolmarc"]And yet beta 2 was slipped again, without any mention in the forums. Have you noticed that no users even asked about it? that's what happens when a company doesn't keep it's users informed. They just go away.[/QUOTE]
funny but true ... the users do eventually just go away. i had high hopes for zimbra desktop, but now advised my boss to just purchase outlook 2003 and we are using that through imap to connect to zimbra server. :confused:
... but then again you get what you pay for
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

i take that back ... should have read the forums first. all i wanted is multiuser setup and that is now available and the download link now works ! hooray my job/career is saved
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

the beta 2 is out already. if you look in the zimbra desktop forum. the first sticky has a link to download the mac/linux/win verison