newbie - some questions

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
dDragon

newbie - some questions

Post by dDragon »

Hi there,
I have a zimbra server network edition in our network, and i plan to use zimbra desktop 7.3.1 for all users, and i have few questions:
1. How is the auto archiving works..? i have set in pref-auto archiving, set older than 10 days and run on app launch, when i restart the app, nothing happen
2. What is the local folders, and why i cannot see it in web based...? and how if i want to see it in web base...?
3. Where is the location file of the local folders in our computer...?
4. I can see the backups in pref, how does it works...?
5. What is Briefcase..?

Hope you guys can answer me in newbie ways :) :D

Cheers,
dDragon
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Re: newbie - some questions

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello,
Thank you for testing and use Zimbra, here some answers:
  • 1. Then when you have items older than that specified date, they will automatically move to the Local folders, keeping the directory structure like Inbox - My folder -Items.
  • 2. The Local folders are folders on your own Computer, it uses the local database Zimbra Desktop has. To see them online, you need to move them back to your Mailbox on the top, or use the Export as .tgz option and import using the web client, up to you.
  • 3. They are not stored as an individual item, instead they use all the Zimbra technology to be stored, so the .msg are in different folders and a MariaDB-MySQL keep track of the metadata. Yo can use the Export as .tgz option to generate one unique file.
  • 4. The Backups are good to do from time to time, so in the unlikely case your PC crashes, you can restore that backup.
  • 5. The Briefcase is a a place where you can save files, which you can quickly share between Zimbra users or with external users, it's really convenient when you need to send big files but instead attach them into the email, you just send the link the Briefcase
Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
dDragon

Post by dDragon »

jorgedlcruz wrote:Hello,
Thank you for testing and use Zimbra, here some answers:
  • 1. Then when you have items older than that specified date, they will automatically move to the Local folders, keeping the directory structure like Inbox - My folder -Items.
  • 2. The Local folders are folders on your own Computer, it uses the local database Zimbra Desktop has. To see them online, you need to move them back to your Mailbox on the top, or use the Export as .tgz option and import using the web client, up to you.
  • 3. They are not stored as an individual item, instead they use all the Zimbra technology to be stored, so the .msg are in different folders and a MariaDB-MySQL keep track of the metadata. Yo can use the Export as .tgz option to generate one unique file.
  • 4. The Backups are good to do from time to time, so in the unlikely case your PC crashes, you can restore that backup.
  • 5. The Briefcase is a a place where you can save files, which you can quickly share between Zimbra users or with external users, it's really convenient when you need to send big files but instead attach them into the email, you just send the link the Briefcase
Best regards
Hi,
Thanks for quick response,
The auto archiving does not directly start after you restart the zimbra desktop, but it will take 30 minutes to start the auto archiving and it works, but my next problem is when i open from my web client it does not sync with my zimbra desktop. But when i delete or send/receive its sync, How is this possible...?

My next questions:
1. If i delete a user mail from the server (using web admin) is the user mailbox/database also delete...? and does it need to purge after delete it...?
2. Tell me the different please between:
a. Archiving from a user webclient-zimlets-Archive
b. Archiving from a admin webclient-Manage Accounts-Archiving
Does both archiving database stay on the server or client computer...?

Cheers
dDragon
Nizmirov

Post by Nizmirov »

Hi there....I have the following question. I have ZD and I have used the Auto Archive function. I had to reinstall my PC and have copied the Zimbra local folders. Now I have reinstalled the ZD and want to restore my previous Auto archived mails (from the coppied folders). Is it possible and how should i do it. (I have tried just to paste the local folders at the same location but till now nothing happens).

Nizmirov

Post by Nizmirov »

Hi there, I have the following question.
I am using ZD. My PC is with small SSD and the Auto archive folder is in "C:" and now I am running out of memory. Is it possible to change the Auto archive to be on another hard drive and if so How?